Thirteen

Both heads turned in my direction

Both heads turned in my direction. They were so engrossed in this conversation that they hadn't seen me sit up and listen to their every word.

I was pregnant, and the baby was healthy. I watched the white walls to the white sheets around my legs in the heat of silence. Why did I feel nothing? I was numb and had enough time to think of what I needed to do from there. I touched my head, and there was a bandage around it.

"Giulia!" Greta ran to my bedside. "Are you alright?" She reached for my hand, and I pulled back. It was instinct and had nothing to do with the split second of her disappointment when Nurse Balotelli mentioned my baby.

"Whatever drugs I'm on, it's working well. I feel nothing, so I'm fine." My voice was raspy, but I ignored it. I'd been out for hours.

"Miss Giulia," The nurse walked to my bedside. "Do you need anything?"

"Yes." She nodded, taking her clipboard. "Water and those tests you mentioned earlier."

"We can schedule that after we speak to Mr Rossi—"

"It's my baby. None of these men occupying this floor or paying these hospital bills is the father, so Miss Balotelli, it concerns none of them." I groaned, feeling the need to curse the universe for all the shit she kept pouring on me—unemployment, financially broke, alone, living a lie for years, and lastly, without my baby's father. I was so done and ready to vanish and start over by myself.

The woman's face soured as she searched for the right words. She'd talk, I know it, so I reverted to manipulation. I didn't know if she would care, but it's worth a shot. "I'm keeping my baby, and because of its father, Mr Rossi will make me abort it." Her eyes widened. "You have to help me by keeping silent. I only want to know how healthy that baby is to move on from here."

I could see Greta from the corner of my eye, and I played the part with tears and a lying tongue. I wasn't lying—not that I truthfully knew what would happen to me and that baby.

"Right away, Miss Giulia." Nurse Balotelli's brows furrowed as she dipped her chin. "I will return with the ultrasound machine."

"Giulia?" Greta scolded immediately as the soft click of the door resonated in the room.

"Is Raffaele dead?" I ignored her disapproval.

"Head gone. As good as dead." It's what he deserved for attacking me after Adrik warned him. Did he still follow my life after he left me? I excused that one time but did he still fucking do it? "There was no trace of him or the bullet. How does he do it? How did you fall in l—"

"You'd better watch your next words to me, Greta Rossi." I gritted my teeth. "You fell in love with Alessandro, no? Then you can answer your question." She opened her mouth and closed it. I was so fucking tired of every and anybody. "And for the last time, I know nothing about him, Greta. I will spell it out for you—N-O-T-H-I-N-G—nothing. That's what's wrong. Everything is wrong. I've lived a lie for ten years. The father of my child kidnapped me almost four months ago. I fell in love with him, and he sent me away. I don't feel safe because my supposed brother tried to take my life last night, and the man I loved killed him. That man stalks me after he fucking let me go, and now I am pregnant with no job, no money and no family at all." I groaned, holding my head because of the sharp pain that appeared from my outburst.