Eighteen

"Do you need to pack so much?" Greta sighed, her voice breaking

Saturday had come sooner than I'd expected. If it weren't for the flask with peppermint tea, I'd have my face inside a toilet bowl, throwing up the food I ate. I was so scared to leave, but I knew I had to.

"I'm leaving half of my things. What do you mean it's too much?" I'm leaving the things I don't need, like novels, makeup and excess clothing. I have just enough to get by until I find a job. "It's one month, Greta."

"That much feels like years already. What will you do in Australia?"

"Site seeing, learning to care for myself alone—that's pretty much it." I lied, grabbing the three pairs of shoes and stuffing them into the suitcase. I grabbed the leaflets and pregnancy books the nurse gave me yesterday and hid them between my clothing.

"You'll message me every day?"

"Of course... I will. If I stop, just know I'm in danger." I didn't mean to say it out loud, but my conscious was gnawing at my flesh like a fucking leech. The bag with my underwear fell, and I cursed, bending to pick it up.

"No one knows where you're going. How can you be in danger? We've changed your name like you asked, and you cut your hair." I bit my lower lip nervously. Maybe I should have worn eye contacts or dyed my hair blonde like Virna Lisi. I was somebody new: Marcela Garcia. I thought of keeping my first name and having Antonio's last name, but if Giulia Caruso weren't on a flight, then Giulia Rossi would be. I opted for a Spanish word so that it could buy me time.

"Do you know where Cosimo is?"

"Alessandro sent him to receive a shipment at the docks— Why are you asking?" Curiosity lurked in her voice.

"No reason. I should go with my knife."

"Giulia," Greta took my trembling hands. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing. I'm just trying not to cry." I lied through my teeth, and as always, Greta bought it. Fuck! When did I become such a liar?

"Well then, you can't go with your knife because they search you at the terminals." My eyes snap to her.

"Bag and body?"

"Bag and body." She repeats, helping me with the toiletries in the bathroom. "The metal detector will go off, and you will get arrested for having a weapon on you."

"Okay, it's okay." I voiced loudly when that was supposed to be a thought. Cosimo worked for him—I know it. He was coming for me again, whether I liked it or not.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Greta paused inside the cabinets and furrowed her brows in my direction.

"What time do we leave again?" I didn't answer her. I knew something would happen, whether it be today or days later. I had to get my plan going. Call it paranoia or crazy. I called it knowing the devil and how he thinks about his prey: me.