Forty-Three

"I'm going to Mexico

"I'm going to Mexico." I hear Marco speak to Adrik on the balcony. His tone sounds like he knew he shouldn't have said that line. It wasn't even a question either.

"What the fuck do you mean?" Adrik growls and goosebumps erupt on my skin. He didn't like that.

"I'm going to Mexico," Marco repeated, and I could hear him shrugging. He's been in and out of the house for a month, and I've grown used to his behaviour.

"You let her go, and now this." My husband releases a frustrated breath.

Were they talking about Clara? I haven't seen her since the wedding and never asked about her. I should feel bad, but I don't. I knew she was alive, and the last thing I wanted to do was add my two cents to something that didn't concern me. It would be fruitless, plus my concern is keeping away from stress with these twins.

"She needs me, Adrik. She's in fucking jail." There's a moment of silence. "And Mexican prisons are not fucking friendly." My mouth is open in shock, and my heart is skipping beats.

"If you go over there, I must come down to save your ass, brother. Listen. I have no fucking problem coming to rescue you, Marco, but my wife is six months pregnant, and I cannot leave her alone."

I feel bad for eavesdropping, but my feet are rooted to the floor. Adrik groans. "You know she is wanted. Hell, even she knew it, too. What the fuck will you do when you get there? Bail her out? For fuck's sake, the court won't grant her any bail. They're Mexicans, Bortsov," Yup. My husband was angry beyond belief.

"You throw Enrique Sanchez in the equation, and you have dead fucking bodies all around you." My brows furrowed, knowing I'd heard that name before in Edoardo's house. Isn't he a policeman?

"You would do anything for Giulia. You love her, and I'm going for mine." Marco hisses. There's a tense silence, and Adrik knows he lost this battle. "I'll be careful and not involve you in this. I've got it."

"Fuck!" A loud crash startles me, but I'm too far away to give myself away. "I know this is all kinds fucked up. If you die, I'll bring you back alive and kill you again."

Is it alright for my heart to be beating this hard? Marco was going to save Clara. Fuck! Only love can force you to walk through hell and back for a woman or man. He loves her, and Adrik couldn't argue about that. I'd walk through hell for him, and so would he. Would Clara do it for Marco? Did she want him to save her?

"I'm not easy to kill." Marco justifies, and Adrik grunts. "You don't need me—not now, at least. I'm doing this and returning no matter how long it takes."

"This is war." Adrik sounds almost defeated. My heart bleeds for him.

"I'll do it to save her."

"I knew you'd fucking fall in love with her." Adrik sighs. "Your death won't stop me from killing her. You'd better hope the both of you make it alive." Marco chuckles. It wasn't a joke!