Sky

Chapter 41

The same day, 8:00 am

In the bunker

Sam's POV

I've got Sky, asleep on me, using my chest as a pillow. She dyed her hair, a little while ago, and I'm trying to be mad about it. But every time I try to be mad at her, I think about when she almost died, in that motel. Ever since that day, I can't bring myself to be mad at her. What if she had died? I wouldn't have her here to be mad at. I wouldn't have her here to parent. I wouldn't have her here. I know that that was kind of a long time ago, but to me, it feels like just yesterday. This child is like my own. I love her like a father loves their child. She's been like my own child, since the day she was born. Dean and I have always seen her like our own kid. I can't imagine losing her. It'd be like losing my daughter. Yeah, she's disrespectful sometimes, but she's really just a kid. She's just doing what every other teenager does. They don't like authority or being told what to do. It's normal.

Sam: You really are a good kid. You just mess up sometimes, and that's ok. I say to her as she's fast asleep.

I actually think the red hair suits her, but I'll never tell her that. She does still need to know that no means no. She still needs to know that when she's told no, it means no. But the red hair doesn't look bad at all.

Sky: (Asleep) whagauajana

I have absolutely no idea what that means. She talks in her sleep, a lot. Sometimes it's actual words. Sometimes it's...whatever that was. She also yells in her sleep, sometimes. And it's scary as hell.

Sky: Sammy.

I look down to see her, now fully awake. She didn't fall asleep until, like, 30 minutes ago. I know she's still tired. There's no way she's ready to get up.

Sam: What are you doing up, Sweetheart?

Sky: It's raining.

I hadn't noticed the rain. I guess I've been lost in my thoughts for a little while. Usually, Sky would sleep better if it was raining. She likes the sound the rain makes when it hits the windows and the...everything, really. It's thunder that she doesn't like.