Chapter Twenty-Nine

Angelica Winter's POV

I peeked around the building then continued walking, coming up on the steel door leading into the building and pulling it open with one hand. I held the tray of food with the other.

Walking in, I went up to the last cell at the end of the hallway and plopped down on the ground with a smile, "I brought you food again," I announced, setting the tray down in front of the bars and staring into the darkness.

He didn't answer, shuffling toward the door and his hand came into the dim light of the hall as it took the water from the cup holder on the tray, "you know, Axel will be pissed when he finds out that you're taking advantage of the doctor just to feed me."

"Yeah, maybe," I frowned, looking down at my lap and fiddling with the hospital pants I was given instead of a gown.

One thing you're missing, Calix... I have not seen him in several days...

I've been in that bed being taken care of by Wayne for six days now and I haven't seen or heard from him. He hasn't came to see me or anything.

"Just so you know, I appreciate what you're doing for me," he interrupted my thoughts, reluctance seeping his tone and I could only imagine the mortified look on his face.

"Nobody deserves to die, certainly not while suffering either," I replied softly, standing up and dusting myself off, "but I have to go back, Doctor Wayne will be searching for me soon," I explained.

He knew the routine, scooping off all the edible belongings on the tray as I picked it up and turned away, leaving the building without another word. I eat the breakfast, then bring him the lunch.

I quickly made my way back into the side door of the hospital, attempting to sneak past the receptionist just as I always have until her voice called out loudly.

"Luna! You're back! I wonder why Alpha Axel hasn't came to check up on his so beloved mate," she wondered snidely, tapping her lips and looking me up and down. I felt disgusting next to her beauty.

I stood in silence, not knowing how to answer because I knew just as much as her when it came to Axel and his whereabouts.

"Oh, I know," she beamed. I looked at her desperately, my heartbeat quickening out of eagerness for an explanation, "he's been getting frisky with Carly, haven't you heard? God, she's so lucky and, well, you're so not."

Pain hit me but I rolled my eyes and shook it off, making my way back to the room. I'm not sure why I bothered entertaining her. It's quite clear she'd make up some lie just to get a reaction out of me because I have the man she wants.

However, there's a piece of me that can't shake the slightest possibility of it being true.

I walked back into my room and set the tray on the table, climbing back onto the bed and frowning deeply.

"How was your lunch?" Doctor Wayne walked in at that moment and I looked up at him with hope after hearing following footsteps, except the people walking in with him weren't who I wanted.

"Hey, girl! How are you doing?" Gabbie asked cheerily, though her and Danny's smiles were wiped off at my deepening frown. They shared looks and Wayne noticed, pulling them to the side.