Chapter Twenty-Seven

"John!" She whined, yanking her hand back and rubbing it where the redness had taken over.

"Let it go, Hailey. You heard him," the man said, his eyes drilling into Axel's and they seemed to share a very intense, uncomfortable stare off, "rule number six, if an Alpha feels that his or her mate's life is threatened and/or unsafe, they may take any coarse of action listed: eliminate the threat through death, imprison the threat for life, or banish the threat."

Nobody replied before a shirtless man came running in the room with wide eyes, pointing outside and breathing heavily. The tension in the room thickened in an instant and Axel held me tighter.

"Liam, what's going on?" He asked, but it was quickly regretted.

"Hunters are here! T-They have Gabbie and Whitney! Shania and Tyler aren't answering their mind-link either! I think they found out we were watching them!" He panicked, "we gathered the women and children in the basement, but I don't—"

"Go. I'll meet you out there," Axel snarled, turning his attention to his parents as Liam ran away, "all I want you to do is watch her, can you handle that?"

"Yes, I'll make sure she's fine," his father answered. I felt my body being moved and I widened my eyes, feeling Axel's tingly touch disappear and be replaced with a warm, dull hand on my bicep.

"We have to get to the basement," he said, tugging me along by the arm and I frowned, glancing back just in time to see Axel walking out the front door. I turned back ahead and allowed him to tug me down the hall next to the stairs and toward a strange looking door.

We entered and starting descending more stairs. The room was filled with a lot of women and children, so I was very surprised when I saw it was fairly spacious.

"I don't want to go down here," I whispered, pulling my arm and trying to turn back but his grip was too strong. My lungs tightened and I grew lightheaded, my eyes scanning the huge crowd which worsened my panic. There's so many people...

"Please, sir, I can't—" I choked myself silent and the gasp I sucked in after caught his attention because he came to a stop as we neared the bottom. Axel's mother looked at me with a scoff and continued on, leaving me alone on the staircase with his father.

His expression filled with genuine concern and I shook my head, "please don't make me," I whispered.

He frowned, "it's not safe to leave. I apologize," he stated, scanning my face then looking down the stairs, "close your eyes and I'll guide you to a secluded area, how does that sound?"

I nodded, gripping onto his forearm after he released my bicep and I closed my eyes, relying strictly on his arm to keep me from falling. As we walked, I kept telling myself it was just us and felt myself start calming, only feeling his arm helped me believe it.

"Luna!" A familiar voice giggled and I opened my eyes, tugging him to a halt as I turned to see the little boy I met from earlier come running up to me alongside an unfamiliar boy.

"Hi!" I smiled uncontrollably, letting go of his forearm and kneeling down to the boy's level. I opened my arms and they both decided to crash into me, squeezing me in a tiny group hug.

"This is Roderick, he was the puppy that knocked you down!" Jayden, I think, giggled, and his friend nodded proudly.

"Luna?" I heard someone mutter questioningly, so I lifted my gaze to see everyone around me was staring with furrowed brows. Other mutters started filling the air but they weren't as audible, making me frown until someone stepped to block my view from the forming crowd of women.

"You can take this up with Axel, the Luna will not be taking questions or meetings as of right now," Axel's father spoke out and I smiled in relief, letting the children in my arms go.