Chapter Eight

I really like him :)

I smiled just writing the words, then I remembered the other dog he attacked and a shiver ran through me. If it weren't for Marshmallow, it would've killed me.

How many dogs do you have?

"Only one, but the man you just saw has one too," he answered, "are you okay if I ask you a few questions too?"

I nodded, staring down at all the empty space on the paper and jolting at the unexpected feel of his hand on my back as it messed with my hair. I clenched my eyes closed, envisioning him gripping a handful and ripping it out. Chills ran through me and I opened my eyes to find he was gently running his fingers through my strands, unknotting them slow and painlessly.

"Who gave you these wounds?" He asked, making me go tense as I swallowed the lump in my throat.

My mother.

He soon grew tense as well, turning the chair and opening one of his drawers. I curiously watched him pull out a bristled plastic stick and he moved back to our previous spot, giving me back my access to the paper and pencil.

What was that thing? Was he going to hit me with it? Is he Jade's ultimate test to see if I'd tell if ever given the chance? Is he working with her? Is this all a trap?

All my thoughts disappeared when something scratched over the shirt on my back. I jumped forward and shook but he wrapped an arm around my torso and forced me back. This made me panic, my anxiety skyrocketing and I fought to escape his grip.

"Angel, beautiful, I'm not trying to hurt you. Just relax a moment, and if it hurts, I want you to tap the table and I'll stop, okay?" He suggested and I calmed my hard panting, loosening my firm hold on his arm.

He's been truthful this whole time... why wouldn't he now? It'll only be better if I cooperate.

He took that as agreement and the scratches reappeared, however, they didn't hurt. I also felt my hair pulling downward in a manner that released the tension from my face and my throbbing head started fading.

"See? I'm just combing the knots out of your hair. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that was for you," he said quietly, continuing slow movements through my hair and I felt the most relaxed I ever had, "did she do this to you on purpose?"

His question made me unsettled again and I swallowed harshly, squeezing the bottom of the shirt and feeling my eyes water. Hearing it verbally announced makes it sound so much worse, like I did something to deserve it, even when I know I didn't... did I?

"I understand it's hard, but you have to tell me if she did this intentionally. All I need is a nod or—"

I nodded frantically, leaning away from his hands when they came to a halt before shielding my face from harsh impact. I flinched when his hands found my wrists and gently pulled them back, revealing my face to him. I kept my eyes low in submission as I began to tremble nervously.

"I will never hurt you," he said softly. I desperately wanted to believe him, and a piece of me did, but I pulled my hands back shaking my head. Why would he, a stranger, hold care for me when my own flesh and blood doesn't? It doesn't make sense...

His arms suddenly wrapped around my quaking body and pulled me down, forcing me to lay across his chest and put my head down. I clenched my eyes closed, my lip quivering as tears burned in my throat at the extremely close proximity.

I slid my hand to his collar and squeezed a fistful of his shirt while my other clutched the area over his side, my uncontrollable shakes calming as I curled further into him, turning so my right cheek rested against his shoulder. I watched his arms warily before I realized my eyelids were drooping.