Chapter Twenty

"I don't want to be," I mumbled, clenching onto his shirt with the urge to take it off that I ignored, though it was hard.

"I know, Angel, don't worry. I'm going to help you," he replied, his jaw clenching and he appeared bothered.

"Get her out of here before anyone else senses her," Whitney stated, standing up at the same time as Gabbie.

"Do you want us to take her so you can get a grip?" Gabbie asked, making Whitney facepalm and he growled, his chest rumbling under my hands and I shivered.

"I can handle it," he answered, taking a moment to breathe before he started carrying me away. I was simply too hot to care, laying my face over his collar then closing my eyes to focus on his cool touch.

"Don't let me go," I whimpered, a small shiver rolling down my spine.

"I'll never let you go," he said softly, but I was unable to answer due to the hot, tightening pains in my chest and between my legs. It ached and I squirmed in his hold, panicking when I felt my body being set down.

The heat jumped up many degrees the more space he put between our bodies and I squeezed his shirt to prevent him from letting me go, glancing out at the world around us only to find we were back in his bedroom sitting on his bed.

"I'm here for whatever you need," he assured, except his body language insinuated otherwise by the amount of tension it held.

"Take off your shirt," I mumbled, pulling at the material, "your skin cools me down, please," I begged, wincing at the third burst of heat which made him reclaim his arms and slip the shirt off.

I laid against him but felt no relief, so I carelessly yanked mine off and pressed our top halves together. This eased the heat immensely, the sweat that was covering my body evaporated into my skin at an abnormal rate.

"Oh, god," he breathed, squirming a bit underneath me and refusing to replace his hands around my now almost nude torso. He clenched his jaw on and off, closing his eyes and furrowing his eyebrows with small, nearly inaudible groans, making him sound like the one in pain.

He leaned backward so the pillows were beneath his back and the headboard pressed into his shoulder blades. The position should've been relaxing, but his body was still so tense.

I tried to force myself to fall asleep but the heat came back after a few seconds, causing me to whimper and squeeze my legs together. The previous sweat that disappeared came back and I winced, squirming around in discomfort.

"Fuck," he groaned, his hands squeezing the blankets, "it'll be over soon, okay? You're going to be alright."

I nodded, frowning, "what's happening to me?"

"It's hard to explain right now," he strained, "but your body desires sexual intimacy, not with just anyone though. Only your mate's touch will make you better, anyone else's will feel like a nasty burn, and that's why if nobody's touching you it'll be extremely uncomfortable. Females go through this so they'll seek their mate's touch, inevitably forcing them to have sex to end the discomfort. Once marked, you'll never experience it again because it ties you to your partner to ensure you'll never be disloyal, and if you try, the pain will be unbearable."

"But why?" I whimpered, looking up at him knowing my face must've been dark red and slightly glistening.

"Because werewolves are different when it comes to bonds, we're made to be loyal—it's in our nature as wolves, the ancestors to the dog family, which are known among humans for their unwavering loyalty."

More heat consumed me and I released a small cry, lowering my head as I curled into a fetal position. His hands were back on me within the second, feeling like ice on the skin that felt over a thousand degrees.