Chapter Twenty-Eight

Axel Moretti's POV

I wish I could speak to her right now. I just feel incomplete not being able to respond.

'What the fuck is taking you so long?' I mind-linked Wayne, gently nudging her with my snout to keep her awake and she winced. Fortunately, she kept still and breathed to the best of her ability.

Just hold out for me a little longer, love.

You're strong—my strong girl.

'I'm gathering supplies. It'd be too dangerous to move her because of her size, she can't risk losing too much blood or we will lose her. Just keep distracting her from the wound, I'm working as quickly as I can,' he replied.

I cut off our link to focus on blocking her from seeing the injury, otherwise she'd panic and make it worse. It's best she doesn't know, that way she will remain calm to prevent anymore blood loss and damage, and it's best I remain calm for her. I've never struggled so much in my life.

"Please don't leave me," she wheezed, her voice breathy and I absolutely despised how weakened she sounded, "please, I'm so sorry," she wept lightly, "don't leave me," she sniffled.

I nuzzled closer as if to tell her I'm not going anywhere and she squeezed tighter, "you'll... you'll make me better... w-won't you? You always m-make me... better."

She seemed to be starting to fight for her sentences and I felt my hackles raise, a foreign coldness pricking my chest. I couldn't see her face due to it laying over my neck and it took everything in me not to move her to look, knowing she may become startled at the sudden movement and move the blade embedded in her abdomen.

Words can't describe how pissed off I am at my parents, but now is not the time to deal with them. She's my priority, and making sure she's okay comes before everything. I was stupid to have trusted them and they will not be getting away with this.

"Please don't leave me, I'm sorry. I love you," she cried, "I'm so sorry... it's my fault. I love you, I'm sorry... I didn't mean to hurt anyone... I caused this... I'm so sorry. I love you, p-please stay with me," she sobbed.

Her desperate pleas were like a bullet in my lungs and it was unbearable listening to, especially with her strained voice. I promised she would never be hurt again, and she is...

Dax was crying loudly for her and I wasn't sure what to do. She was losing more blood by the second and it stung my senses. Every second that passed, I felt our bond grow weaker alongside her heartbeats and it's making me go insane. I'm completely helpless.

"I think... I think I'm okay now," she whispered so lightly I almost missed it, "it doesn't h-hurt anymore. I-I'm okay..." she sniffled, not even a second later her grip loosened and her body lost all its tension.

I panicked, no longer caring about her seeing the blade, then I got up and nudged her face with my nose. She was extremely pale and I whimpered, hating how awful this sight of her made me feel. I've never felt worse, and to feel our bond gradually tear away felt like all my insides were being ripped out slowly.

"I'll have to work fast," Wayne's voice filled the air and I whipped my body to watch him approach, snarling as he dropped down on the other side of her with his box of supplies.

Dax didn't like how close he was to her injured, unconscious body, but I refrained from making a stupid decision and allowed him to cut her shirt around the wound.