08. games

atlantis | stranger things
08  games

-
narrator

jack was dying in the hospital room he was in, he wouldn't stop being hungry. he sighed, reaching forward to get his water bottle, taking a sip from it. his stomach felt odd.

he grabbed his stomach in pain, wincing as he did so. he put the bottle back on the table in front of him. he pressed on the emergency button.

the nurse came into his room, "what happened? anything wrong?"

he grimaced. "stomach hurts," the nurse nodded as he put down his chart and grabbed jack's extended hand. "slowly. slowly,"

jack grabbed his hand, clasping it in his. the nurse guided him to the washroom, "if you need anything, call me."

jack nodded, leaving his hand. he went to the cubicle, he sat down on the toilet bowl, knowing that he didn't need to go. he wanted time, time where he can rest instead of that damn room.

he remembered steve came in the other day, early in the morning. he smiled, thinking of that day.

flashback
-

steve came in, holding flowers and a bag full of stuff. steve put them down on the side table, "hey, how you holding up?"

jack smirked. "why? you miss me already?" steve chuckled, grabbing the comics from inside the bag.

steve then shook his head. "oh no, i could never miss you. you're too stubborn,"

jack gasped, snatching the comics from his hand. "marvel, huh? henry really influenced you with this shit."

the harrington boy sat down on the chair next to the bed, "i know. maybe i could influence him with my shit,"

jack stared at steve's side profile while the latter grabbed more things from inside the bag. steve noticed when he turned back to jack. "what?"

jack snapped out of it. "nothing. wait, you did not." steve nodded, leaning closer with the box in front of him.

"you brought a puzzle?! for what?"

steve moved the table closer to them two with his foot, "for us to play? what else? i wanna spend time with you before work, is that too much to ask for?"

jack shook his head. "no. it's just- how did you get in here? they only let family members in,"

steve winked at him, jack's stomach went to butterflies. "i have my ways,"

steve grabbed something else from the bag as well, uno. "uno too?! damn, steven. i sure am flattered to get this side of you,"

steve smacked jack's arm. "shut up," he put it on the table where the puzzle was as well. "so, puzzle or uno first?"

"uno." jack wiggled his eyebrows at him, teasingly. "just so you know i'm gonna win for sure since i've never lost to a game of uno ever."