03. trouble of connection

atlantis | stranger things
03  trouble of connection

-
narrator

jack went to work usually bored because he didn't have anything else to do. he would only see his friends in after hours and his off-days are always on weekends.

it was 10 in the morning as he opened the store. he put on his vest and name tag. the first person came inside.

"welcome to 'freddy's comics'." he spoke in a monotone voice.

the girl stared at him, confused. jack noticed it wasn't a customer but sophie. he chuckled. "i thought you were a customer."

sophie smiled. "i am a customer, i'm here to pick out something for henry. he's at scoops,"

jack nodded. "how's steve?"

"fine, you saw him yesterday at his house."

sophie went to see comics in an alsie, jack sat back at his chair, whistling.

another person came in, jack repeated his words, welcoming them.

his co-worker came in after a while, he decided he would get to scoops ahoy. turns out, sophie and dustin were there but no henry.

"where's henry?" he asked, taking a seat next to dustin. they shook their heads.

"don't know. he just left," sophie shrugged.

dustin took out a recorder and a book. "what's this?"

"the next big thing." he pressed on the recorder. russian words played, jack's eyes widened. "where'd you get this?"

"yesterday when after everyone ditched me. i was trying to reach my girlfriend, suzie, when this came on and i recorded it." dustin explained.

sophie grabbed the book. "so you're gonna learn russian?"

dustin grabbed it from her, opening it. "exactly,"

jack chuckled. "russian is hard to learn, bud. anyway, i gotta go back to work. welcome back to boring old hawkins." jack ruffled his hair.

dustin grinned at him, sophie rolled her eyes at his admiration. "what?"

"nothing. he's right, though. it's hard to learn russian."

later on, steve came and joined them. "hello there, guys. whatcha up to?"

"talking about how russian is hard to learn is all," sophie sarcastically smiled at him.

steve rolled his eyes and went to get dustin a banana sundae. sophie got up, "nice catching up with ya, dusty. i'll be back."

-

sophie went inside again after spying on the boys, going into scoops ahoy. she saw steve in the front. "where's robin and dustin?"

he pointed in the back as he gave the customer their ice cream.

robin was pacing around in room as dustin played the recording. "wait, that last part, just one more time. hey, soph!"