✿ october 1st

The autumn sun had set hours ago and the rain was softly pattering against the window. Elle lay on the sofa, waiting for her girl to get home from work - ready for them to begin their weekend. The first of October, their anniversary weekend. It was their first anniversary and due to Elle not working, she had lots of time on her hands to plan something amazing. JJ was so special to her and she was going to prove it.

She heard the keys in the lock and jumped up off the sofa. Quickly setting the blanket back to its proper position, fluffing the pillows and then picking up the box of chocolates and card, she waited to see her girlfriends face. She heard her sigh before she saw her but then her sweet girl entered the living area.

JJ had flowers in her hand but she looked tired yet so beautiful. Her blue eyes, made brighter by the darkened circles, were eyes she could never forget. Her red cheeks, most likely from crying, matched her soft lips, set into a sweet, small smile as she laid eyes on Elle. It was all so precious to her.

"Hey baby," Elle smiled widely, walking around the sofa to get closer to her girl.

"Hi," JJ smiled back. "Happy First Anniversary," she whispered, holding out the flowers. They were a mix of reds, oranges and yellows - the most beautiful autumnal mix. Elle took pride that they fell in love in October. The flowers matched their house decorations; a small place, full of tiny pumpkins, autumn wreaths, fairy lights, blankets, books and cushions.

"Happy Anniversary baby girl," Ellle replied, handing the chocolates over. She gave the card too and JJ ran her fingers over the picture on the front. Elle's favourite picture of the two, wrapped in each others arms, staring into each other's eyes. The swapping of gifts was quickly over when Elle wrapped her arms around her girlfriend. JJ fell into her arms, exhausted. She soaked up the embrace, the love.

"Come sit," Elle whispered, taking JJ's hand. She sat down first and sat JJ across her lap, her girl's favourite position, especially after a tough case. "I saw the news. Hard one?" Elle asked, putting some blonde hair behind JJ's ear. JJ acted so tough at work. She was rock solid to everyone else, doing her job, compartmentalising what she needed to but when she came home, she hadn't quite mastered letting the case go. JJ nodded slowly and put her head in the crease of Elle's neck.

"Children always get to me," she sighed, beginning to fiddle with Elle's fingers.

"You saved them baby girl," Elle whispered, holding JJ closer to her. JJ nodded sadly before softly nodding off to sleep in Elle's arms. Finally feeling saafe and relaxed after two long days.

An hour later, JJ slowly began to wake up. Instantly, she stretched, some how getting herself closer to Elle and Elle smiled widely. Holding JJ was one of her favourite parts of the day, to keep her girl safe, to make sure she felt loved.

"Morning sleepy head," Elle chuckled, moving some hair from JJ's eyes.

"Shush," JJ giggled and put her fingers on Elle's lips before lifting herself up and taking her lips in hers instead. It was a soft kiss, one full of love and tenderness.

"I have a surprise for you, we have to leave soon. Go get changed," Elle smiled, putting her hand on JJ's chest, stopping them both before it got too out of control. JJ pouted but Elle smiled widely. "Wear something comfy."

"Comfy?" JJ frowned. "No fancy dinner?"

"Do I look like the fancy dinner type Jay?" Elle asked.

JJ shrugged, "You continue to surprise me every day Elle, even a year on." She leaned in for another kiss but Elle stopped her.

"Changed and then I promise all weekend we can have endless kisses."

Their playlist played softly in the car as they drove through the rain. Elle had made the playlist, being the simp she is, pretty early on in the relationship. Well, from what JJ knew anyway. JJ was introduced to a new playlist about a month in but Elle had had her own weeks before the two got together.