♡ you're safe

you thrashed and screamed in the bed. beads of sweat ran from your brow. your hands trembled as you reached them out for your wife.

"jay," you sobbed over her bleeding body. "jj i'm sorry."

you tried to put pressure on her bleeding chest but your hands just dipped further into her rib cage and you screamed.

"jj, come back," you pleaded. you grabbed your wife's head and cradled her in your arms. "my baby don't go." you cried out so loud then felt the two hands on your shoulders.

you recognised jj's grip but she lay motionless in your arms, eyes rolling back in her head.

"baby," you sobbed.

"baby," she replied.

"jj!" you gasped, bending over her body. "wake up please."

"stay with me. come on. baby come back to me."

"wake up! hey y/n!"

you gasped for air as you raised from the mattress. the weight of the duvet lifted off your chest and the light flooded into your eyes.

frantically searching the room, your eyes landed on your wife. sat up on her knees, hair behind her shoulders, in her silk nightgown- she wasn't dead.

"jj, my lord!" you cried and reached for her - making sure she was real.

she grabbed you held you against her chest as your heart pounded.

"i'm safe baby," you heard her whisper into your head. she kissed your head.

"you were hurt," you cried, gripping her t-shirt so hard your knuckles turned white.

"i'm safe. i'm right here my love," she reassured you, rubbing your heaving back.

"don't go," you pleaded.

"i'm not going anywhere sweet girl," she replied again.

you stayed there, in her arms for some time. she waited for your heart beat to settle and your tears to clear up. she let you sit in her arms for as long as you needed.

"i've got you," she told you gently. "i'm never going anywhere y/n," she mumbled.

you sat up and sniffled, wiping your eyes with the back of your wrist.

"promise?" you mumbled, lifting up your pinky finger. she sent you a soft smile and linked her finger with yours.

"i promise," she whispered back, resting her lips on your closed fingers. you did the same, securing your promise.

she smiled and let your fingers drop before taking your face into her hands. she took your salty, tear stained lips in yours as a way of really proving she was never going anywhere.

"i love you baby," she mumbled into your lips, her eyes still fluttered closed.

"i love you," you replied.

"let's sleep."

she laid you down on top of her, handling you with such gentleness you felt like crying all over again. she wrapped the duvet around you, making sure you were sufficiently covered.

"i'll be here the whole time," she reassured again as her fingertips drew soft pattens up your back and around your arms.

"thank you," were the last words you mumbled before heading back into a sweet sleep - one filled with love and tenderness, no more fear. because you knew that with your wife's arms around you, you were both safe.