♡ it's not your fault

i picked JJ up from the bau, already having a faint idea on how hard the case was. she'd been so quiet the last few days, when we called at night, she hardly spoke to me, just stared off into space.

i stood by the car, waiting for her to come out and she did, accompanied by emily. she looked tired, exhausted. my baby. i sighed and stood up from the car, grabbing her go bag from her hand.

"hey y/n," emily smiled.

"hi," i replied.

"come to pick up the princess," she smirked, nudging jj, trying to get her to smile. she did crack a small one.

"i think she needs it, hm?" i hummed, holding out my hand. she practically collapsed into my arms, clinging to me.

"tough?" i asked emily.

"dogs. her and spencer went in on their own, they split up and she saw some awful things. we aren't sure what," emily explained, causing jj to hide in my neck.

"let's just get you home love," i said gently, rubbing her back. she nodded and went to get in the car. we waved goodbye to the team and headed off.

when we got home, she still hadn't said a word, too spooked. it broke me. i don't know how she did her job, so bravely, everyday facing dangers like no one else. i was in the fbi but not in the field. yeah, i had a gun and a badge but it wasn't my job to catch the fuckers. i praised her everyday for what she did for america, saving so many people from dangerous men and women. sometimes, i wanted to take her away from the pain. seeing my sweet, innocent girl so haunted broke me.

"love," i said gently, leaning over and unclipping her seatbelt.

she looked at me, in a haze. "we're home." she nodded and climbed out the car. we walked through the door and instantly, she headed up to the bedroom.

"do you want a bath?" i asked, running my fingers through her hair. she nodded and headed to the bathroom, still not saying a word. i began running the bath as she sat on the toilet seat. i lit some candles, put on some calming music and got us both towels, slippers and robes for afterwards. i put a bath bomb in to make it pink and lush as well as bubbles before i addressed my poor girl.

i crouched down in front of her and moved some hair from her face.

"you ready to get in?"

"it's my fault spencer was taken," she whispered simply. emily had sent me a message about how the team were upset with her and a run down of what had happened to spencer.

"it's not baby girl," i told her, taking her shaking hands in mine.

"if i'd stopped him from leaving me," she choked before a few more tears fell from her eyes.

"if you stopped him from leaving you then you could have been in the exact same position as spencer. this isn't your fault, anyone blaming you is hurt. spencer almost died and the whole team were scared, did morgan apologise?" she nodded softly.

"then he knows you're not to blame darling. they all do. spencer especially."

"he hugged me."

"he wouldn't hug you if he blamed you."

she sighed and nodded before beginning to take of her clothes. i followed suit, taking off mine. i climbed  in first, holding my hand out for her and she took it. she sat herself between my open legs and sighed heavily. i wrapped my arms around her, pulling her back into my front and she soaked up the love. i kissed her shoulder and told her how much i loved her.

"you're going to be okay sweetheart. you're so, so strong." i added at the end and she nodded, already beginning to feel better.