✧ the profile

i closed and locked the front door behind me. it had been a long day and i was exhausted but i wanted to check on y/n. she was homeschooled, due to her social anxiety and most days, she comes into work with me however today she stayed at home - not feeling like joining me.

"y/n," i called up the stairs. i slid off my shoes and jacket then headed up. "angel," i sung as i always did. i saw her bedroom door shut which wasn't usual so i knocked.

"you in baby?"

"i'm in," she replied quickly.

"can i come in?" i asked.

"no, i'll be out soon."

"baby," i said in an authoritative tone. we didn't have secrets.

"it's fine. mum i'll be out soon," she sighed. i wasn't going to argue with her.

"i'll be downstairs making dinner then. i'll make your favourite," i said softly, heading away from the door.

an hour later, y/n still wasn't down. this wasn't like her. at all. usually she stuck to her routine to a tee but it was twenty minutes past dinner time and she was no where to be seen. i headed back up and called her name again. this time i knocked and opened the door, she couldn't keep me out.

she was laying on her bed, her curtains and blind closed, pillow over her face and crying softly. i closed the door gently behind me, getting rid of the light.

y/n had a very unstable and traumatic childhood, resulting in a few issues developing as she grew older. when she came into my care, the team noticed autistic traits also so we got her diagnosed. i supported her where she needed it and she had the best therapist i could get her.

"it's so loud," she cried, sensing my presence. i walked over to her bed and sat down softly beside her. i didn't say anything, just removed the pillow from her face before laying down.

"come here, darling," i whispered. she rolled over and collapsed into my arms, crying. i held her tightly, rubbing up and down her back. i kissed her head and caressed her hair. it's all i could do. she just needed some love, some cuddles and gentle touches. she needed the reassurance.

"mama's got you," i said gently. "you're safe." she whimpered and clung to me.

half hour later, we were downstairs drinking coffee and heating up the dinner.

"did you get much work done today?" i asked her.

"no," she grumbled back, sighing.

"that's okay, you're ahead anyway," i smiled. she was a little smarty pants. reid had serious competition. it didn't surprise me, her dads IQ was as high, which is what kept him away from the authorities for so long. he outsmarted us far too many times and unfortunately dragged his poor daughter into it.

"you working tomorrow?" she asked, over her bowl.

"when am i not baby," i chuckled in reply. she nodded and shrugged. "you can come if you like. we might be called on a case but you can tag if you'd like."

it wasn't a secret that y/n got special treatment in the fbi but it wasn't surprising. they'd been a couple of times where she'd taken one look at our board and solved the riddles, the case, the lot. now reid was no longer with us, away on his top secret case, her work had been so beneficial.

"i think i will," she told me, smiling gently.

"alright. shall we have a movie night?" i asked, picking up the popcorn cornels.

"in your room?" she asked hopefully. i smiled and nodded.

"in my room."

the next morning, we walked into the bau together.  garcia stood outside the elevator, waiting for us with a wide smile.

"good morning my loves!" she cheered, raising her arms.

"good morning p," y/n said, nodding her head. she was feeling better this morning.

"mini prentiss is here today, it's a good day." penelope smiled and wrapped her arm around my daughter's shoulder.

"y/n is here?" we heard jj ask from the the hall. y/n turned and saw jj standing there with her arms open. she ran to jj , jumping in her arms for their signature cuddle. jj and y/n had clicked instantly when i came back from london. the first time jj met her was the tivon askari case, the morning after i rescued her. they became the bestest friends and it was amazing to see.

"your desk," i said to y/n, putting her bag on the desk opposite jj's. "you going to be okay whilst i'm in my office?" i asked her, running my hands over her hair.

"yes mum," she chuckled, looking up at me.

"good. you know where i am if you need me," i whispered. i leaned down and kissed her head. "i love you."

"i love you too."

a few hours later, we sat in the boardroom consulting on a case. y/n sat in the corner, looking at the pictures, listening to the facts.

"i think its a woman," she said.

"me too," tara agreed.

"the language used is far too maternal. she uses adverbs like 'willing' or 'hoping' which suggests to us she's giving an option. she probably is a woman with very little power resulting in low confidence, hence the low risk victims. we could be looking at a woman who is jealous of the attention the postitutes get from the men. she could be a house wife or even a secetary for a big boss. she'll be physically weak, hence the murder weapon being a car. it distances her from the kills as she doesn't believe she can do it up close and personal, again, she isn't confident enough to approach them. however, another reason it's most likely a woman is due ot the remorse she shows by dressing the body neatly, placing her in the chair. not only is it way of displaying the vicitm but it's also to make them comfortable, warm and give them a peaceful passing to the next life," y/n said from the corner of the room. everyone was looking at her bamboozled.

"have you just presented us with a profile like - before we even got to the crime scene?" Alvez asked. I smiled with pride - that's my girl.

"i just looked at the pictures and read the reports?" she shrugged. "its all speculation."

we all smiled and JJ cheered.

"wheels up guys, mini reid, you're joining us!" rossi said laughing. however, y/n frowned as she stood up.

"my name is y/n , not mini reid thank you very much."