♡ bedtime

"i don't know what to do em," JJ sighed, running her hands through her hair. "every night, even when i'm not home she sleeps in my bed-"

"she's been sleeping in your bed for 16years?"

"yeah! we did it when she was little and it's just a way to keep her anxiety low at night. i never, ever imagined myself getting with someone, nevermind in a long term relationship," jj explained. she put her head on the jet's table and groaned loudly.

"how long have you and will been seeing each other?"

"almost 10 months now."

"and he's still not met her?"

"no! and he's coming this weekend and she's going to sleep in my bed but so is he and that's not going to work!"

for the last 16 years, you'd slept in your mums bed. you took naps in your own bed, you played in your own room, hung out in your own room but at 10pm every evening, you climbed under the covers of your mums bed and snuggled up on the right side.

sometimes, she'd snuggle up with you, wrapping an arm around your waist and holding you close but sometimes she didn't. she wasn't always home but that was okay because regardless, you felt safe in mums bed.

"hey sweetie," she mumbled, snuggling closer to you on the friday morning. you hummed, still tired from your mums tossing and turning but you settled when you felt her begin to play with your hair - the only thing you really let your mum do.

"can we talk about something?" she asked next and you rolled over, alarmed.

"what?" suddenly you were wide awake - concern flooding your mind.

"it's okay, it's okay," she reassured, sitting up and grabbing hold on your hands. "i just need to discuss something with you."

"what is it?"

"how do you feel about sleeping in your own bed tonight? and tomorrow too? maybe we start a habit of it-"

your mouth opened. "no mum," you told her simply. "why?"

"because i think it's time you started sleeping in your own bed at night baby. you're 16, you can't live with mum forever," jj whispered softly but you shook your head.

"no you're wrong. i don't need to."

"baby id like you to," jj pleaded.

"why?" you asked, feeling yourself getting more and more worked up. "this is where i sleep! every night! mum you can't kick me out, why don't you want me anymore?" those words shattered jj but she knew that's what her girl was really thinking.

"hey," jj whispered, wrapping her arms around you. "i want you more than anything darling but sometimes, i need some grow up time without my daughter here too," she said softly.

"mum," you sobbed, unable to keep the upset back anymore.

you headed off to school, shaken up and upset at what your mum had proposed but you tried to let it settle to the back of your mind. you knew your mums boyfriend was coming over today and staying for the weekend, it had been planned for weeks but you didn't think she'd kick you out !

that's your bed, where you slept! not some strangers, you couldn't comprehend why your mum would want to sleep with strangers anyway.

the day ended and you headed out to your mums car. she sat waiting in her usual spot and you climbed in the front.

"hi baby, good day?" she asked, starting the car. you only nodded, far too overwhelmed to speak, you knew what was waiting for you at home.

"wills at home, you just need to say hi and then you can go do your own thing, okay?" jj said softly. you nodded once again and the car fell silent.

you walked into your house and was instantly overwhelmed. will smelt different and he brought this smell into your home and he's going to put it in your bed.

"hi! you must be y/n!" will said with a smile; walking over to you with his hand out to shake.

you didn't reply, or shake his hand. you weren't a hand shaker.

"y/n, will. will, y/n," jj greeted you both and you nodded before heading off to your room. you couldn't help but feel sick. who was this person in your home making you feel so horrid?

you trudged down stairs at the smell of your favourite, lasagne. you peeked your head around the corner of the kitchen and saw them laughing and joking together. will was funny, he made your mum laugh which you liked. you studied him from the doorway. you watched his body language, the way he moved himself when speaking. he would stare at your mum, completely stare and that made you uncomfortable just thinking about the prolonged eye contact.

"oh hey mouse," your mum said quickly, noticing you. you waved at her slightly and then will turned to you.

"i wondered when you would reappear," he said softly. you walked over to your mum, wrapping your arms around her tightly.

she wrapped her arms around tou, holding you close in the silent comfort.

it was 930 and you climbed out the shower. you felt nervous, sick. you couldn't sleep on your own. not without her. you headed to your own room and got into your comfort pjs - hello kitty shorts and a top before plaiting your hair the way you did every night. but then you saw the time and audibly whined.

9:50, time for bed. how did you do this? how was you going to do this?

shaking, you climbed into your own bed and almost immediately, JJ turned up at your door.

"do you want me to join you?" she asked and you nodded frantically. she slid into your bed, holding you close and although you settled slightly - it still wasn't right.

you never fell asleep, no matter how much she played with your hair, no matter how much she tried to coax you to sleep. but you pretended to be and she left the room silently, making sure you were tucked in before turning on your night light.

at around 230, you headed to the toilet and you walked past your mums room. she was in her bed with will beside her, both sound asleep and you had an idea.

after washing your hands, you grabbed your blanket and slid in behind your mum. you made sure you were comfy but not taking up too much room before falling asleep quickly.

this happened for the rest of the weekend. they'd fall asleep without you but wake up with you. your mum knew you were trying though and that's all that mattered to her. will went home on the monday and mum dropped you off at school on her way to work.

when you arrived home, you were exhausted- with hardly any sleep all weekend you weren't surprised. you headed up to your room, expecting your mum to be at work but when opening your door, you were greeted by the team - re decorating your bedroom.

"your home early!" JJ gasped.

"i skipped last lesson. what are you doing?" you asked.

"we're moving jj's bed into here so you can sleep!" derek told you.

"without you?" you whispered, turning to your mum and letting your lip wobble.

"i'll sleep with you ever opportunity i get baby but now; you can sleep in this bed whenever you like." she replied. she wrapped her arms securely around you and you sighed, soaking up her love.