Chapter 21: Siege

"Have our scouts reported back?" Sigil asked. "Yes sir. The planet is heavily fortified and some war zones could be seen from orbit. Nearly all important facilities are hidden underground. The local militia is willing to work with us on this death world." His intelligence officer informed. He rubbed his chin. "What are they supplying?" He asked. "Thirty thousand ground troops and five thousand riders along with their general." Was the answer. "Very well." He said, turning to Qishik. "Lieutenant, inform the gunnery crews to lock on to exposed imperial targets and all GR-75s to prepare for landing." He ordered, heading for the door. "If you don't mind me asking, where are you going, sir?" The Lieutenant asked. "Going somewhere to lead by example." He replied as the door in front of him slid open and then shut as he headed outside the bridge to the hanger. He gave Leia command over the fleet and had her blockade the entire planet while he personally led the ground assault.

He opted to wear a ballistic vest and helmet under his uniform. His detachment waited and watched from orbit as turbolaser bolts from the Scutum and the two MC-80 star cruisers descended onto exposed imperial hardware and destroyed anything that wasn't protected. Once cleared after about thirty minutes of bombing, he landed his contingent a day away from the primary imperial bunkers where they met up with the local militia. 

The transports landed in a clearing forming a semi circle in front of the awaiting partisans. In the center of the semi circle, landed an Omicron class attack shuttle. The boarding ramp, lowered with a hiss as the cabin's pressure dropped. Out of it emerged Admiral Trial.

"Admiral. It is truly an honor to meet you." The militia leader greeted. "General Yafuro." He shook the extended hand of the woman in front of him. "What is our course of action?" She asked. "We'll march just outside their bunker in a hidden spot and fortify our guns to avoid counter battery fire. Then it is a matter of time before we hopefully break the bunker's door and storm it. Your militia is to strike the go ahead and map out the area while we bring our guns into range of the imperial stronghold." He informed. "You heard the Admiral! March!" She ordered her troops as she got on her mount and headed off along with her militia.

Most of the men he brought with him were rebel volunteers and Alderaanian stormtroopers as they were the most loyal to the alliance. The militia however, was off setting. General Yafuro was unlike her subordinantes; her presence carried less malice as compared with the rest of the militia and especially her second in command. He was standing behind the General on her right and conveyed treachery. Although the entire planet did, he separated his own troops from hers to avoid betrayal.

The artillery pieces were self propelled, saving them transport time. A day's march later, he personally went forwards and looked over a hill to see the massive bunker. Dug into the muddy mountain.

Camp was established as this side of Mimban, fell to darkness. In the early morning, Sigil contacted Yafuro to coordinate the diversionary attack while the alliance troops began constructing defenses for the guns.

This required him to head over to head over to their camp with a bodyguard contingent. He passed through the outer perimeter and reached the very center of the camp. In the center, a large tent was established. It stood taller than the rest and indicated the general's tent. Two of his troops followed him inside while the rest stood facing the militia men guarding the entrance. It was like a standoff but the alliance couldn't afford to pull the trigger. They were however warned of the militia men by their Admiral and were on full alert.

"Admiral Trail, I see you finally reached us." Yafuro greeted. "Greeting General." He replied. "Please take a seat." She said, pointing to the chair in front of her. He took her up on the offer and sat down. Once seated, she pulled out a map of the entire bunker sketched by her scouts. They both examined the map for any weak points. The examination lasted for hours as they inspected the map very carefully to detect gaps in the defenses.