083 - China Upheaval - 2

Start from the beginning

While Britain and France also faced problems with weapon smuggling and the breadth of their border areas in Africa, they had essentially given up due to the vastness of the region. Airborne border surveillance, given the size of the regions to be monitored, was deemed impractical by both countries. This was the reality they had come to accept.

Pan-Asianists

Led by individuals who had returned from French Indochina, a military uprising took place in southern China. Their number was approximately 30.000.

In the blink of an eye, they seized control of key cities, establishing a strong foothold as a formidable force. They took advantage of the fact that the Chinese government had concentrated its main military forces in the north to combat the Chinese Communist Party. As they also mobilized troops from local warlords, there was no significant force in southern China capable of stopping their momentum, and the Pan-Asianists continued to expand their control over the coastal regions of southern China.

When they extended their influence to the border region with French Indochina, they declared the establishment of their desired new state, the Chinese Republic – the founding of South China. They boldly proclaimed their intention to overthrow the corrupt and lost Chinese government, expel hostile factions from within China, and create a utopian homeland for various ethnic groups, with the Chinese people at the nucleus.

. . .

Downtime Japanese

A Russian-Japanese (Japanese government operative) who had contact with the Pan-Asianists in connection with the supply of weapons ended up seeing something unbelievable as negotiations progressed, which was encountering downtime Japanese serving in the South Chinese military. Although they were not revered as heroic officers and did not hold significant political roles, downtime Japanese officers played important roles in the South Chinese military.

The Japanese government was left dumbfounded upon receiving this report. They hastily instructed to gather detailed information and confirm their identities. Not only was this information not concealed, but the downtime Japanese themselves proudly revealed it, making the details immediately clear. They had originated from the Republic of North Japan and had left the military and their homeland to support the cause of Pan-Asianism, totaling 15 in number. They were the men who had survived the conflicts in French Indochina.

The Japanese government was furious. Since the Kwantung Purge, the Japanese government had been wary of former imperial military personnel who seemed to be obsessed with honor and worried about what they might do in various situations. They had even instructed the North Japanese government to keep track of their activities. However, the North Japanese government had not reported that these former military personnel had left the military and the country. Furthermore, the reason was not due to oversight or forgetfulness but was intentional – it was an attempt to conceal their support for the Pan-Asianists out of loyalty and a sense of camaraderie. It was only natural for the Japanese government to be furious.

Moreover, rather than quietly operating, they had openly exposed themselves to the media since the declaration of South China, sharing the details of their activities. They claimed they were heralding a new dawn for Asia – aiming for a revival in world history.

Faced with this situation, the Japanese government decided that it was only a matter of time before France (the primary target of their activities) learned about it and chose to take matters into their own hands to resolve it. The punishment of all military and government personnel involved in concealing information in North Japan, the expulsion from public office and deprivation of suffrage due to violations of service regulations, and the implementation of surveillance by the Public Security Police were all decided. In the tradition of the Japanese Empire, which placed a high value on honor, this content amounted to social death. Furthermore, they had intended to impose physical death on those who had joined the South Chinese military.