24

carols house - 9am

i was never just given days to stay home from school. momma is letting up or something because that's crazy. mya is living the dream. love that for her.

"momma can you cook for us?"

"your dad is coming home today so that was the plan. have beyoncé come by as well."

"y'all are getting along well." i got on the chair at the island and slightly rocked. she started to take some stuff out the freezer while i watched. most likely she'll make me start helping her, that's our thing.

"mmm. you would say." she glanced back at me and i just ignored that. momma swear she knows everything and if you let her believe she's right, she'll take it there. so it's best to keep it low and make her believe that she's just overthinking. at least for right now.

or forever...i don't know.

"she's a really sweet girl and i admire her ways. you can tell that she was raised on respect and it stuck with her. those are the type of people i love to see you around. especially knowing the way i raised you. but you live and learn. yes?"

"yea i guess momma. have you talked to summer?" i hopped down to start helping her cook. of course i washed my hands first because i don't want to get yelled at.

"that child went off to college and doesn't even think about us. i'm gonna make her bring her butt home this break though. the last one she stayed down there with her friends but this is a no go. she has to come home."

"well momma you have to accept that she's not like me. i was coming home for everything even when i didn't want to. summer wasn't really as disciplined as me when it came down to family and things like that. so....." i shrugged while watching her rinse out the pan she was gonna be using.

summer and i aren't that far apart, but momma still let up on some things. around when summer was born, we were having family issues with some aunts so momma wasn't making her go to stuff and allowing her to spend nights like she did me. i witnessed everything first hand being the oldest.

"i know, that's why i try to give her her space, but sometimes it's no choice. she's bringing her ass down."

"momma." i chuckled hearing her curse. this woman here.

we moved around the kitchen together, making the fish, fries, and salad. at some point mya had come down and momma was teaching her some things. i love how interested mya is. like no matter what it is, even if she's never heard of it, she's gonna try. that's such an amazing mindset.

"wait but momma...you put this much in there."

"i know. you can't put too many in at once because it'll cook slower. we have two hours before you have to meet this big someone."

"is it the big man from the phone?"

"my husband, yes ma'am." momma chuckled sprinkling the dripping water from her hands onto mya. that made her giggle and it immediately reminded me of when i was younger. i love seeing her experience things that i did as a child.

at least someone is getting the love from my parents. if they could share it with the world i'm sure they would. they've always been so welcoming and supportive of others no matter what.

"he said he was gonna throw me when he got here!!"

"because you said his head was huge lollipop."

"you talking smack about my daddy?" i nudged myas shoulder and her eyes widened.

"that's your daddy?!"

"yea. my moms husband is my daddy and my sisters daddy."

"you have a sister!? why am i finding things out today?!" she really seemed shocked making me laugh. mya hasn't really met anyone yet honestly. just my parents, that's literally it. lauren doesn't know about her, and bey hasn't let her parents meet her. we just haven't had the time.