19

carols home - 7am

momma has me here so early. i can't even keep my eyes open on this couch, im tired. when beyoncé told me what happened, i was quick to call momma and tell her. she takes things like this so serious, as she should. but 7am? at the beginning of the week.

it could've been a bit later. like she has us all her. even said to bring beyoncé and blue. for what reason i'm unaware of. blue stayed home from school and bey didn't go to practice.

"tanya."

"mmm?" i opened my eyes to her standing in front of me with breakfast. i'm not even hungry, i'm that tired. but i still took the plate, just sitting it in my lap. "thank you momma."

"thank you ms. carol." blue and beyoncé spoke before digging in. how are they not tired? i'm dying over here.

maybe if i eat i'll wake up some. i started to eat my eggs as momma sat in her recliner chair across from us. mya made her way right over to momma too. sitting in her lap with her plate.

"mya i wanna ask you something okay?"

she wanted us here so she could talk to mya? i can be in my bed accepting my cramps for what they are. the same way they told me what happened then, it can happen like that now.

"mm hmm?" mya nodded her head, not being able to talk with a mouth full. momma doesn't play that, i see she caught onto the rules fast.

"have your parents always been your parents? like since you were a baby?"

"mmmmm. mm mm." she shook her head making momma look at beyoncé. i'm kind of confused with the whole thing so i just sat there. the way beyoncé explained it was like something from a movie. she lost me when she told me the reason the woman tried to kidnap her. or is it kidnapping if she's done it times before? i don't know. "i had different ones before."

"and what happened to them?"

"mmmm, i dunno." mya shrugged biting into her sausage. she seemed so calm about it all. maybe that's why she didn't really have the type of reaction i thought she would when her parents left.

that's why they were so okay with sending her with me. i find it kind of weird because i was nothing but her nurse. they trusted me still. it's adding up now. i still don't get the role of this fenty woman though. apparently she's the reason mya has had a number of parents. but why? so myas real dad won't see her?

it's crazy.

"do you remember their names?"

"mommy and daddy."

"their real names sweets." momma chuckled at her. i would be surprised if she even knew the peoples names. she's eight so i'm sure she doesn't even remember all the people. hopefully it hasn't been a lot.

"i dunno. the lady just said my mommy and daddy."

"do you know the lady?"

"i don't know her name but she always give me new mommies and daddies."

"how many have you had? that you can remember."

"mmmm." she started counting on her fingers before scrunching her face. "three."

"three mommies and three daddies?"

"mm hmm."

i sighed wiping my mouth with the paper towel momma gave me. it was really giving me a headache to be finding this stuff out. it's been about a month and a half since she's been with us. why are we just finding this out?

"were they nice ones?"

"i don't remember. but my new mommy and daddy were nice. they gave me lots of things."