3

LA Hospital - 7am

i walked inside the patients room with nothing but smiles. sometimes i can absolutely love my job with everything in me. but then there's the days that i hate it so much. but momma always said to never display your emotions on your sleeve. so i keep a smile no matter how i feel. it's okay to be kind.

"good morning sweet girl, how are you?" i laid the little girls medicine out while listening to her complain about the night shift. every time i leave i come back to a story from her. she doesn't really like night shift. "and ms.nicki she didn't even know how to do the shot! i was so scared seeing so much blood! can you believe she had to call someone else to come do it?"

"maybe she was new and just needs a littlleee help. that's okay. did she hurt you? let me see your arm sweet girl." i put my gloves on and walked to her bed. she held out her arm where the iv was and i looked closely. it was obvious that she had been stuck there a couple times so i lightly touched it.

when she winced i shook my head. this needs to come out. why would they do that?

"i have to take this out and you'll need to get stuck again...okay?"

"as long as you do it...i don't want anyone else to. only you do it right for me."

"okay that's fine, i'll do it. let me take this out." i turned off the machine before draining the iv with water and removing it. she sat there calmly as i did so making me smile.

she's such a sweetheart. her parents can't be here with her during the mornings because they have work. so it's good that she takes a liking to me since i'm her nurse during the day. i wouldn't want her to be here alone with a shift she didn't like or wasn't comfortable with.

and her parents have talked to me so they trust me. all i do is give them a call about everything that needs to be done. they're sweet people as well.

i looked closely for a vein worth being used and got an alcohol wipe to clean the spot. she's scared of blood...like sooo scared. the first time i had her she went crazy because i had to draw her blood.

but i work well with anyone so it wasn't hard to calm her down. luckily she started to like me or this would be harder than some may think. i just know night shift catch hell cause she doesn't like them.

"it's allll good now." she smiled looking at her new iv and i chuckled. thankfully she let me give her her medicine with no issues. to reward her i gave her a popsicle and some more color books. this girl loves to color. "ms.nicki guess what?"

"what's up?" i was throwing away the trash. i only have a couple minutes to talk to her before i have to move to the next patient. some doctors have to do their rounds to check in on everyone on this floor.

"my birthday is next week! and mommy says i should be out of here by two days!" she held up two fingers and i chuckled. she'll be turning eight. "but....then i won't see you anymore."

"you'll be better so that's a good thing."

"will you come to my birthday party?"

"aw you want me to come?" i smiled at her as she nodded. that's so sweet. i've only had a handful of patients since i started and i can say that she's the best. "i would love to. just tell mommy to let me know and i'll be there."

"ok! and we can be twins."

"whatever you want sweet girl. i have to go and i'll be back in a bit to check on you. alright?"

"ok. can you give me my ipad please?"

i took the device off the charger and gave it to her. she's only allowed to have it until 4pm. that's when her parents get off of work and my shift is over. i'll just put it on the charger before i go.