40. Some Teasings

Shreyansh's Pov:-

It was late evening as I sat on the couch in Aanshi's apartment, the soft glow of my laptop illuminating my face. Even though I was supposed to be working, I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of peace and contentment just being in her presence. Living without Aanshi for the past two years had only intensified my yearning and need for her companionship.

My eyes kept drifting over to where Aanshi was curled up in the armchair, lost in the pages of a book. Just watching her relaxed expression made me smile. But that smile quickly faded as I remembered the looming danger that constantly threatened her safety.

Aanshi remained blissfully unaware of the risks and threats that surrounded her. To her, this was just our cozy apartment a safe haven. But I knew the harsh truth all too well. There were forces out there that wished to harm her, and it was my self-appointed duty to protect her at all costs.

The memories of the countless times she had already been targeted made my chest tighten with worry. Each incident was a solemn reminder that I could never let my guard down, not even for a moment. Not when her life was at stake.

I must have let out an audible sigh, because Aanshi suddenly looked up from her book with a small frown.

"Hey, everything okay over there?"

I blinked rapidly, snapping out of my dark thoughts. I attempted to plaster on a reassuring smile.

"Yeah, of course. I'm fine. Just working on some stuff for my project."

Aanshi arched one delicate eyebrow, not looking entirely convinced. She marked her page and set the book aside.

"You seem...tense. Like something's on your mind."

"It's nothing, really," I lied through my teeth, not wanting to burden her with the truth.

"I'm just a little distracted tonight."

"Hmm." Aanshi regarded me carefully for a moment before rising from her chair and padding over to me. Without a word, she gently plucked the laptop from my hands and set it aside.

"Hey! What are you-"

"Shh." She silenced my protests by swinging one slender leg across my lap to straddle me.

Cupping my face in her soft hands, she stared deep into my eyes.

"You've had that brooding, worried look all evening. And I know it's more than just work."

I tensed under her intense gaze, holding my breath. She always could read me like an open book.

"Please, talk to me," Aanshi implored in a quiet but firm voice, stroking my cheek soothingly.

"You don't have to keep everything bottled up inside. I'm here for you."

My defenses slowly crumbled under the unwavering warmth and sincerity in her eyes. With a shaky exhale, I finally opened up.