Chapter 25

The passage of time brought subtle changes to Miraal's demeanor. A month had slipped by, but the wounds within her heart were still raw and festering. She withdrew further into her solitude, retreating into the shadows of her own thoughts. Miraal hardly spoke, and when she did, her words were bitter, laced with the venom of her pain.

Abraar watched her from afar, feeling helpless in the face of her suffering. He had tried everything to bring a glimmer of light back into her eyes. He even invited her cousin, Zubiya, to lift her spirits, but Miraal remained distant and detached.

One evening, as Miraal and Zubiya sat together, a glint of light caught Miraal's eye—a ring adorning Zubiya's finger. Curiosity piqued, Miraal couldn't help but ask, "Ye anguthi tumhe kisne di?" (Who gave you this ring?)

Zubiya replied with a gentle smile, "Zoheb ne." She then chuckled, as if remembering something, and continued, "Ya Allah, mai tumhe batana hi bhul gayi thi, tumhare nikkah ke baad Zoheb aaya tha mujhse milne. Woh Ruhsana Khaala ko last stage cancer tha, she wanted to apologize to me." (I forgot to tell you, after your wedding, Zoheb came to meet me. Ruhsana Aunt was in the final stages of cancer, and she wanted to apologize to me.)

Miraal gave her a curious look, her brow furrowing in thought. "Aise log badalte hai?" (Can people change like that?) she asked, genuinely puzzled.

Zubiya nodded, her eyes reflecting a deep understanding of life's complexities. "Ye sab toh Allah ke bas mai hai kab kisko hidayat de." (It's all in Allah's hands, who He chooses to guide.)

The conversation took an unexpected turn as Miraal inquired further, "Zubiya, maut ke wakt hidayat ka kya tuk bandta hai? Aur tum itne pyaar se kyun unka naam pukar rahi, bhul gayi unhoney tumharey saath kya kiya tha?" (What changes a person's heart during their last moments? And why are you mentioning him with such affection? Have you forgotten what he did to you?)

Zubiya's eyes held a depth of wisdom as she embraced Miraal with a warm hug. "Nafrat ... Khud se nafrat hoti hai Zubiya. How are you so strong?" (Hatred... it's self-hatred, Miraal. How can you be so strong?)

"How can you forgive and move on so fast?" Miraal pressed, her voice tinged with both curiosity and bitterness.

"I am not strong, Miraal," Zubiya admitted with a soft sigh. "I just have faith in Allah. Jab bhi mujhse koi cheez cheeni hai, khuda ne uske badle m mujhe kisi aur cheez se nawaza hai." (Whenever something has been taken away from me, Allah has blessed me with something else in return.)

Miraal frowned, struggling to comprehend. "How can you trust Zoheb? What if he breaks your heart?"

Zubiya replied with unwavering resolve, "I don't trust him. And I don't expect anything from him."

This left Miraal perplexed, and she questioned further, "Fir tum itni khush kaise ho?" (Then how can you be so happy?)

Zubiya sighed, her gaze softening. "Jab tum dunya se expectations lagna chod dete ho, toh farak padhna band hojata, Miraal. Kissi aur ke saath khush nahi raha jaa sakta jab tak tum khud khush na ho." (When you stop having expectations from the world, you stop caring about the outcomes, Miraal. You can't find happiness with someone else until you're happy with yourself.)

Miraal clapped sarcastically and teased, "Mashallah yaar badi shayar ban gayi ho tum." (Wow, you've become quite the poet.)

Zubiya shook her head, her eyes twinkling. "Tumse badi nahi hu, Miraal." (I'm no greater than you, Miraal.)

"What do you mean?" Miraal inquired.

Zubiya revealed a secret, "Miraal, jab tum gayab hogayi thi, toh maine tumhari diary padhi thi." (Miraal, when you disappeared, I read your diary.)