Chapter 4 Part 2

With a heavy heart and a glimmer of hope, Miraal agreed to accompany Zubiya to the graveyard the next day. It was her final attempt to seek solace, closure, or perhaps even salvation from the clutches of her oppressive family. As they walked through the quiet streets, the weight of the world seemed to press down upon Miraal's shoulders. The morning sun barely peeked through the somber clouds, as if mourning alongside her.

Reaching the graveyard, Miraal's steps slowed, her heart pounding in anticipation. She scanned the area, searching for any sign of Abraar Khan. But as the minutes stretched into hours, hope began to dwindle, replaced by a deep sense of disappointment. Abraar was nowhere to be found, and the realization brought tears to her eyes.

She made her way to her father's grave, the place that held her only source of comfort and love in this world. Kneeling down, Miraal traced her fingers along the engraved letters of her father's name, as if trying to connect with him beyond the confines of this mortal realm. Tears cascaded down her face as she poured her heart out, her voice a whisper among the tombstones.

"Baba, aapne mujhe aise logon ke paas kyun chod diya jinhe meri takleef ka koi khayal nahi? Jo meri zindagi tabha karne chahte hai... (Oh, Baba, why did you leave me in the hands of those who care not for my well-being? Why did you place your trust in people who seek only to destroy me?)" Her cries echoed through the stillness, her words a lament for all the pain and betrayal she had endured.

Unbeknownst to Miraal, Abraar had arrived at the graveyard, drawn by the sound of her weeping. His eyes fell upon the broken figure hunched before her father's grave, her tears glistening in the dim light. There was a raw vulnerability in her sorrow that struck a chord within him, awakening a sense of compassion.

He approached her cautiously, his footsteps barely making a sound on the soft ground. As he neared, he caught a glimpse of her face, her beauty shining through the veil of despair. Enchanted by her ethereal presence, he couldn't tear his eyes away. Something stirred within him, an inexplicable connection that transcended their circumstances.

Abraar's gaze shifted to Bakhtu, his trusted driver, who stood a few steps behind him. Sensing his master's curiosity, Bakhtu nodded and whispered, "Miraal Bibi, marhum Haroon Qureshi ki beti hai. Unke abba ka inteqaal takreeban bees din pehle hua hai (She is Miraal, Haroon Qureshi's daughter. Her father passed away recently)."

Abraar could understand her sorrow, his father had left the world not so long ago. His compassion urged him to take action, to offer some respite from the torment that had consumed her life. He reached into his pocket, pulling out a wad of cash, and handed it to Bakhtu. "Ye raqm unke ghar bhijwa dena. Unko kehna Khan ki taraf se hai, aur dhyaan rakhna ke ye sahi haath m jaye" (Take this to her house. Let them know it's from me, and ensure it reaches her safely)."

Bakhtu nodded, accepting the money, and swiftly made his way to fulfill his master's request. Meanwhile, Abraar approached Miraal cautiously, his presence a gentle presence in her grief-stricken world.

"Miraal," he softly called out her name, his voice filled with an empathy that resonated in her soul. She turned her tear-stained face toward him, he saw a scar at the corner of her lip.

"Ji?" she uttered, her voice a mere whisper.

He knelt beside her, his eyes searching hers. "Aapke walid ki faut par afsos hai. Unke baarey m maine kai baar suna hai, kaafi nek insaan they. Maafi chahunga aapko akele rotey huey dekh kar khud par se kaabu kho diya aur aapse baat karne par majbur hogya. Kisiko akele rotey hue nahi dekh paata mai (I'm sorry for your loss, Miraal. Your father was a good man. I... I couldn't help but overhear your cries, and I felt compelled to come to you. No one should have to suffer alone)."