Chapter 15 (Unedited)

It was midnight and Miraal was thirsty, she turned towards Abraar. His arm, warm and protective, encircled her waist, pulling her close in slumber's embrace. Softly withdrawing from his grasp, her cheeks flushed as she gently rested his arm on his chest. A tender kiss graced his cheek, her eyes tracing his features in the obscurity of the night. His tousled hair, a testament to their shared intimacy, and his rugged chest, evoked feelings that stirred her deeply. Clad in his shirt, which reached her knees and enveloped her, she rolled up the sleeves, her fingers grazing the fabric, each touch reigniting the passion they shared. She rolled it up and tiptoed out of the room and downstairs to the kitchen, rolling her hair into a bun she filled the jug to carry upstairs.

Miraal was filling the water when she heard a sound, her eyes darted around to find the source of sudden movement. It was of footsteps, Miraal's breath got caught in her throat as she closed the tap and decided to run upstairs but then she finds a sillhoutte outside the kitchen window.

Miraal screamed in fright backing away, her fingers shiver as she sees the sillhoute disappear. It was midnight Miraal was frightened so she ran out of the kitchen. She reached her room and locked the door, placing her hand on her beating heart.

"Miraal"

It startled her, she covered her face and then realized it was her husband's voice. She peeked from between her fingers, and found Abraar standing there his arms crossed across his chest.

"Kya hua darr gayi?"

She held his arm and pointed downstairs, "Maine kuch awaaze suni neechey, koi hai waha".

Her eyes were scared as she explained it to him, his eyebrows creased as he looked at the door lost in thought. "Mai dekhta hu"

He said and picked up his gun from the drawer, as Miraal followed him.

"Tum yahi raho"

"Nahi mujhe kamre m darr lagega"

He sighed in frustration and forwarded
his hand, she placed her hand in his and followed him downstairs. He asked her to duck down as he walked downstairs and checked out the entire hall. And the kitchen, there seemed to be nobody, because of the silence Miraal called his name, "Murta-sim".

His lips curl up, mischievousness shining in his eyes as he called out her name, " Bachao Miraal"

He hid behind the kitchen door, he heard footsteps as she called out his name, "Abraar?" There was fear evident in her voice, the kitchen's threshold couldn't conceal her form, a silhouette against the dim light, the table lamp gripped with determination. Shadows danced upon her features as she called out his name, fear lacing each syllable. In her grip, the table lamp poised as a weapon, ready to strike down any adversary.

In the shrouded theater of the night, she moved with resolve, her intent clear. But his arms encircled her, a dance of familiarity and affection, as he seized the lamp and the battle became an embrace. The lamp's light, fractured and ethereal, cast shadows that danced upon them, their figures a tableau of desire and vulnerability.

In the darkness she was about to hit him when he caught hold of her hand and she fought with him for the table lamp thinking he was the intruder.

"Yaar mai hu", he clarified halting her struggle, her eyes widened as she dropped the table lamp and hugged him.

Her hands pulled him closer as she tried to feel around for any damage, " Kidhar hai woh?"

She asked tentatively still believing there was an intruder, "Kon?" Abraar asked as he held her hand, rubbing it to calm her down. "Wahi chor"

He laughed and shook his head, "Koi nahi tha, mai mazak karrha tha tumhare saath", he confessed making her eyes widen. She picked up the lamp shade again, her lips pursed as she shouted, "Aapka dimaag kharab hai kya? Meri jaan nikal rahi thi yaha aur apko mazak sujha hai!"