1

Jennie

Oh God, I feel sick. I can't believe I have to go to this stupid school! I only got back from my months' vacation last night, and the following day I have to start a new school? This really sucks!

Junior year was probably the worst time to start a new school too. People would already have their own friends and groups, and I was going to be left out and lonely for the next two years. I huffed and scowled out of my windshield, seeing the entrance to my new nightmare. South Shore High School. As I approached the gates I contemplated driving straight past, heading home and begging my stepdad to just let me go back to my old school. I sighed deeply, already knowing that he wouldn't give in because I'd been working on him for the last three months to no avail, so I reluctantly turned the wheel and pulled into the parking lot.

I stopped in the first available space and glanced around nervously, seeing people sitting around on the hood of their cars, laughing and flirting, making the most of the sunshine before they had to go into the school. Gulping, I reached up and tilted my rear-view mirror, looking into it at myself, trying to settle my fluttery stomach. I looked okay; my long chocolate brown hair had been pulled into a loose bun. I had put on a tiny bit of mascara to make my cat-like eyes stand out, and some clear lip gloss. I hadn't gone to too much effort to make myself up today. Being my first day, I was just hoping to make it through school without embarrassing myself.

I pulled on my leather jacket over my red shirt and black skinny jeans, took a deep breath, and stepped out of the car. Almost immediately everyone stopped talking and looked at me. It felt was like one of those movies where the new girl steps out and everyone stops what they're doing so they can analyse everything about her and see where she fits in the social hierarchy of the school.

So much for getting though the day unnoticed!

I pulled back my shoulders and tried to look confident, not letting the nerves show on my face. As if on cue the boys started to whistle and shout cat calls at me and the girls stared at me with a mixture of jealousy and hatred. Looks like I wasn't going to fit in here very well after all....

"JENNIE!" I heard my favourite voice in the world shout.

A big goofy smile slipped onto my face as my heart rate seemed to increase at the sound of her voice alone. I turned expectantly, my eyes raking the parking lot for her. My heart almost stopped as I spotted her running towards me, a huge smile stretched across her beautiful face. Her messy blond hair was blowing in the wind as she ran across the lot, skilfully dodging around people.

Lisa Manoban, my best friend in the world, the one I told all my secrets to and who knew me better than anyone else. I sighed contentedly as all the stress and strain, loneliness and heartache that I'd felt for the last month, just ebbed out of my body at the mere sight of her. It had been too long since I'd seen that smile.

I dropped my bag, and just as she got over to me, I jumped into her arms and wrapped my arms and legs around her, squeezing her as tight as I could. I pressed my face into her neck and breathed in her smell. My God I'd missed her! It felt like I hadn't been able to breathe for the last month without her. I had barely eaten anything the whole time I was away; I'd just wallowed and missed her like someone had taken a piece of me away. Here, in her arms, breathing her in again, I felt whole. I sighed contentedly as she squeezed me tighter and spun us in a small circle, laughing.

Everyone in the whole parking lot was staring with wide eyes and open mouths at us. "Lisa! I missed you so much!" I told her, unwillingly unwrapping myself from her and kissing her cheek.

She sighed, her beautiful green eyes sparkling with excitement. "I missed you too, Jennie Bear. I didn't think you'd be here today, you only got back last night, right?" She chirped, slinging her arm casually over my shoulder and picking up my school bag, her grin still stretched across her face.