all too well ; bang chan

skz chan x reader
warnings : kinda angsty
desc : chan meets an ex lover after a long time apart.
( a/n ) req'd on tumblr, inspo from tswift's "all too well"

⠀

y/n blinked away the tears that were welling up in his eyes. he took a deep breath and looked at his boyfriend, who was standing across from him in his kitchen. the room was dark with the exception of the light that came from y/n's refrigerator, which neither of them had bothered to close yet.

chan was silent. his gaze continued to rest on y/n, face softly illuminated by the refrigerator light. the pair had been arguing for a bit, and they were both exhausted.

"chan, i'm sorry. i don't know what you expect me to do. quit my job?"

"no..! i know you love your job, but... i don't know, i barely feel like i have a boyfriend anymore. you're just always working."

y/n sighed and rubbed his face.

"okay so, do you wanna plan more dates or something?

"we've tried that already. you always end up busy and there's just not much time to be together," chan muttered in response. a scoff left y/n's lips in turn.

"well, babe, i'm really trying to work with you here..!" y/n's slightly raised voice made himself wince. he sighed again and clenched his fists out of frustration. "i've worked so hard to get to the position i'm at with this job, chan. i can't just put my responsibilities aside whenever i want. i literally take out my calendar to try and sort out my schedule to make time for us. is that just not enough anymore?"

chan was quiet again. the next words that left his mouth made y/n's heart sink.

"no, maybe it's not.."

:: three years later ::

"oh, i love this one," minho said quietly. chan nodded in agreement after following his friend's gaze to the next painting on the wall.

chan's head soon turned in different directions, realization hitting him. "uh.. i think we lost seungmin."

minho's brows raised at this, also looking around for their third friend.

"i'll find him, you keep going around the museum,' chan assured.

as he started walking around more in search of his missing friend, his eyes soon found a familiar face. it definitely wasn't seungmin though.

y/n stood alone, looking up at a sculpture that was a ways away. his hair had grown out a little and he was wearing a rather nice outfit. chan felt his heart skip a beat, unable to tear his gaze away from his ex-boyfriend. and soon, y/n's own gaze met chan's after looking around while he moved to the next artwork in the exhibit. they now stood in silence, eyes locked from across the room.

when y/n finally looked away, a small smile lifted at the corner of chan's lips. y/n was always the shy one between them and chan couldn't deny that he loved it. the way his eyes would flicker away and the rosy pink color would blossom on his cheeks made chan want to gush at how cute he was.

after some debate in his head, chan finally decided to go stand beside him. he gazed up at the same painting that y/n had moved over to.

"you always liked this artist" chan said happily.

y/n looked over at him, a little lost for words. he simply nodded before looking back at the painting.

"so, how you been?" chan asked, clearly determined.

y/n looked at him again. "what are you doing?"

"making conversation. is that wrong?"

y/n frowned.

"you know i don't like small talk, so yes, that's wrong."

"oh right," chan quickly responded. "okay, i'll think of a better question.. mm.. would you like to get some coffee with me?"

y/n turned to chan in surprise.

"coffee..?"

"or tea if that's better," chan suggested. he could see the gears turning in y/n's head before his attention went right back to the painting in front of them.

"i'm looking at art right now," y/n answered with a blatant tone.

chan nodded, still smiling. he could tell the other was just being stubborn.

"alright, take your time. i can wait."

y/n stayed quiet. they both continued to admire the museum's works for a few minutes. y/n would travel between art pieces, chan following patiently as if he were looking on his own.

"tell you what," chan finally spoke quietly, "there's a coffee place right across the street from here. i think i'll go sit there for, maybe.. the next half hour? maybe i'll see you there."

y/n looked back at chan one more time, now watching him give a sweet smile before he turned to to leave. he walked back over to minho, seungmin still missing somewhere else in the museum.

"was that..?"

chan nodded at the question from minho. "y/n," he finished for him.

"shit.." minho mumbled.

"we're gonna go get coffee i think."

minho looked over at y/n, who seemed to be staying put.

"you are?.. he doesn't seem to be going anywhere."

chan smiled and nodded.

"well, i invited him to come for coffee, at least. i think he's just being stubborn right now. he'll meet me there, don't worry."

"how do you know?"

"i just know, i guess.." chan answered in confidence. "i know him all too well."