book 2 Part 12

"Ah... So the headmage asked you to investigate." Riddle said, looking at the three. "I knew it. Grim coming by for a get-well visit? That's just plain sus." Cater said. "I must admit that I found the circumstances odd as well. I've had Cater looking into it for me." Riddle said, looking over at Cater. "And I found out that all of the victims have been talented players like Riddle." Cater said.

"To be clear, it wasn't as if I had been pushed, or that I had tripped. But I did feel a peculiar sensation, like...my body was moving of its own volition." Riddle explained. "The other victims said basically the same thing!" Grimm said. "I believe we can safely surmise that potential Spelldrive tournament players are being targeted." Riddle said confidently.

"You think someone is causin' accidents to take out threats from the tournament?" Ace asked. "The whole world will be watching. A good performance can make a player's whole career. It's no surprise that some would resort to underhanded methods to even the odds." Riddle said, crossing his arms. "Sure, but it doesn't make much sense. I mean, you'd know if you got pushed off the stairs by a gust of wind magic or somethin', right?" Cater said. "Certainly. I felt no external force. Other then Magolor pulling me back." Riddle explained. "And some of the other victims had accidents in the classroom! How do you explain that?" Cater questioned.

"The culprit can tell us all about it when we capture him. And we intend to help you do that." Riddle said, looking at Magolor smiling. "Myah? YOU'RE gonna help us? What's your angle?" Grimm asked. "You offend us, sir. One of our friends was injured—why wouldn't we help him find justice?" Cater said offended.

"We're all buds here. Count us in." Ace said. "He's gonna pay for what he did to Magolor!" Deuce said "You two seem awfully enthusiastic about this." Riddle said suspiciously. "Ahhh... I get it. You're running for an open spot on our team, aren't you?" Cater said. "Heh. Was it that obvious?" Ace said, rubbing the back of his head. "N-no! That had nothing to do with it! I just want to avenge our friend!" Deuce said, trying to sound innocent. "*sigh* Fine... Your performance during the investigation will be taken into account." Riddle said, looking slightly tired. "Woo-hoo!" both of them yelled, pumping their fists in the air.

"Now, if we're going to apprehend this culprit, we need to stay a step ahead of him." Riddle said. "And we're gonna do that HOW, exactly...?" Grimm asked. "By predicting which student will be targeted next and covertly following him. Should the culprit strike, we will protect the target and then immediately pursue the attacker." Riddle told the others. "But how do we know who will be targeted next?" yuu asked, looking at Cater. "I've got this, yuu." Cater said, winking.

"I've already identified a number of potential targets from among the most promising players.

I'll form a group on Magicam so we can coordinate our efforts and then give you access to the album." Cater said. "I still don't have a phone..." Magolor said, looking at Cater. "... And I don't plan on getting one anytime soon." Magolor continued. "Aw ok. It's not like it matters much anyways it's only to relay information anyways." Cater said, shrugging.

"Whoa, Cater, this is a ton of information!" Deuce said looking at the chat. "Now, let's move!" Cater said, walking out the door as everyone followed behind him. "Let's nail this creep!" Grimm said.