book 1 Part 23

"Happy eighth birthday, Riddle. This year's birthday cake is a low-sugar recipe made with nuts and lecithin-rich soy flour to improve your cerebral function." Riddle's mother says. As Magolor watches with yuu and Riddle. "Thank you. But, Mom... Just once, I'd like to try one of those tarts covered with bright-red strawberries..." a young Riddle says.

"Absolutely not! Those tarts are monstrously unhealthy. I might as well feed you poison! Even just a single slice would exceed your recommended daily intake of sugar. Now, dinner tonight will be a tuna sauté rich in DHA and omega-3 fatty acids. Now that you're eight, your caloric intake should be 600 kilocalories per meal, so don't eat more than 100 grams of it. Understood?" the woman says to the young Riddle.

"I'd always wanted to try one of those tarts with the bright-red strawberries. The local cake shop had them in the window. They shined at me like forbidden jewels." Riddle tells the other two. "How horrid. Never knew my own family. But if this is what it's like to have a mother I'm happy that I never knew them." Magolor says.

"That's enough classical magic study for today. Your homework is to read the first fifty pages of the philosophy of language book referenced in today's magical philosophy texts. You may now have one hour of independent study before your potionology lesson." Riddle's mother says. "Thank you, Mother." a tiny Riddle says. "I need some time to prepare the lesson materials. I will see you in one hour, okay?" His mother tells him.

"I was studying every possible subject, scheduled down to the minute. When I didn't understand something, the lesson was extended until I did. That was my "normal."" Riddle tells them. "That's not right!" yuu says. "Sh it gets better i promise." Riddle says. Smiling at both of them.

"...Is someone knocking on the window?" Riddle looks at the window. "Whoa, he heard us!" a young Trey says. "Hey, come play with us!" a young Che'nya askes the young Riddle. "Who are you?" Riddle asks both of the young boys. "I'm Che'nya, and that's Trey. Let's all play croquet! Oh, but it's LOTS of fun!" Che'nya says. "I can't. I'm supposed to be doing independent study, and I have a lot of homework to do." Riddle tells them. ""Independent study" means you pick what to do, right? My grandpa says play is a form of study!" Che'nya tells Riddle. "Just play with us for a little bit!" Trey askes. "...O-okay... Just a little, though!" Riddle says. "Hey, what's your name?" Trey askes. "R-Riddle. Riddle Rosehearts." Riddle tells them.

"I had the best time playing with Trey and Che'nya. We did so many things I'd never done before. They taught me lots of things I didn't know. After that, I snuck out of my room every day To play with them during independent study time." Riddle says to the two others watching. "How kind of them." magolor says.

"Whaaat? You've never even tried a strawberry tart? They're out of this world." Che'nya said. "Yeah. My mom says sugar is basically poison." Riddle tells them. "I mean, you probably shouldn't eat too much of it, but calling it "poison" is kinda...yikes. You know, my family runs a cake shop. Let's go get a tart right now!" Trey said beaming. "Really? But...I shouldn't." Riddle said. "Just one slice. It'll be fine." Trey said. "One slice for YOU, maybe. I want a whole one!" Che'nya jokes.

"A bright-red strawberry tart on a white plate. To me, it shined more brightly than any gem could. That first bite was so sweet. It tasted like nothing I'd ever eaten before. With each bite, I became more entranced......and completely lost track of the time." Riddle told the two. "Your mother didn't!" yuu said. Riddle just sadly nodded.

"I cannot believe this! Not only are you cutting independent study time, but I find you eating a mountain of sugar?! Those two hoodlums must have incited this behavior. You must never play with them again!" His mother scolded Riddle. "I'm sorry, Mother! I promise, it will never happen again." Riddle said, crying. "Be quiet! You've broken the rules, and I'll not hear another word from you.Clearly, you're not able to handle the freedom of independent study. I need to keep a closer eye on you." Hid added.

"Because I broke the rules, my favorite part of my day was taken away from me. I vowed to never break my mother's rules again. After all, she was the most accomplished mother in the city, and therefore, the most correct. But Mom... Why? Why does my heart hurt so much? I want to eat a tart! It's my birthday, so can't I have some just this once? I want to play outside all day long! I want to make lots and lots of friends! Tell me, Mom, please... What rule do I need to follow to make this pain go away?" Riddle asked. Crying as the two observers comforted. "Riddle... would you like to know more about my home?" Magolor asked. He nodded.

"I come from a planet called popstar. We're all happy, lazy and over all content. With that there's a handful of us that are more capable fighters then the rest. I am one of them. We protect the planet from invaders. But there's one of us that stands out. Self proclaimed King of popstar. Dedede. He was once lazy and stole all the food from popstar. He was then beaten by a friend of mine. It changed him and made him see that he couldn't keep taking form his people. His last personal battle against that friend led him to start caring about his people. So he grew. you can too, Riddle, so come on. Your anger will not will not last forever." Magolor said, putting his hand out. "Let's start fresh."

As Riddle took Magolors hand. someone yelled "Riiiiiddle!"