Chapter 17: To Live Well

[An Hour Later]

Currently the group were at in the Helios' cafeteria as Sora was currently chowing down a nice dish Mei had cooked for her as the others had already finished their meals beforehand.

"Wow. This is super tasty! She said.

"Have as much as you want. There's more in the kitchen." Said Mei.

"It's filled with chili peppers but it isn't spicy at all! It's actually pretty sweet!"

"That's because they're actually sweet peppers." Nonchalantly said Tesla.

"If only Sensei could cook like Mei. Sensei's such a nice person but the food she makes isn't nice at all." Said Sora.

'Yikes. That's something she'd not wanna hear in person.' Thought Alex as he was the only who knew who Sora was referring to.

"Speaking of which, I'm curious about something. Your sensei goes out every month right? She had three years to help you leave. Why wouldn't she do that?" Asked Tesla.

"She has her own reasons. The Roost is a lonely place. We've always wanted Sensei to tell us stories about herself. Sensei came from a poor family. Something terrible happened when she was young and left her with nothing. For many years she worked hard, dealt with many people all over the world and saved a small fortune. She spent most of that money to buy a private island in a faraway country called..........um.........I can't remember. Anyways, she planned to build a large house and live happily and peacefully there. She'd also take us there along with the people she's saved from other countries. The huge house was almost complete. We felt so happy that her hard work would finally pay off. Sadly, no one could foresee the tragedy that would happen."

"What happened?" Asked Mei.

"The Great Eruption four months ago. Sensei was here when it happened. Many beasts attacked us but Sensei fended them all off to protect the Roost. The battle lasted hours, but we were finally safe. It was then when we received the bad news. Sensei's island sank beneath the waves. She paced herself and said it was fine, but then she started throwing herself against the ground and began crying. Sensei would rush out of her room and howled at the waves likea child. She kept howling until she ran out of tears and her voice turned coarse."

When Sora said all that, Mei and Tesla were simply speechless while Alex held his head down in shock.

He hadn't known about any of this and how much Sora and the kids went through during the Void's awakening.

While he was busy surviving himself at the epicenter of the awakening, he had still blamed himself for not being there for there.

"I could never forget the oath she swore at the setting sun. Humanity shall defeat the Honkai. No matter the cost."

The three all remained silent, still in shock that Sora and all the kids along with their Sensei had been affected so drastically by the eruption.

"That's......a very sad story." Said Mei who wasn't really sure on how to respond.

They didn't talk much afterwards as Alex stood up.

"Alright Sora you should be heading back now before it gets too dark." He said as Sora nodded before looking at Mei.

"Mei. Can I take some of that delicious curry home so that everyone gets to try it?" She asked.

"Of course. I have it all packed and ready." Said Mei as she walked into the kitchen and then came back with twenty bento boxes. "This is enough for twenty. Share them with your friends."

"Thank you so much Mei!" Said Sora as Tesla quietly chuckled to herself.

"Mei's way too nice for her own good." She quietly said.