Chapter 16: The Roost

Mei and Tesla were in awe of where they were as a group of children around Sora's age came out of their shelters as they all immediately huddle around Alex, seemingly happy at his arrival as the boy greeted everyone kindly.

"This, is there home?" Said Mei to Tesla before she quickly figured something out. "Dr. Tesla, these simple prefab plywood shelters were built on high rise buildings to stay above the flood. I'm certain Nagazora didn't have anything like this."

"These shelters must've been built after the disaster then. The refugees probably had some outside help. Could've been their "Sensei" that did all this." Said the redhead.

Mei then approached Sora since Alex busy interacting with all the children.

"Ah Mei. Thanks to returning me back home. I told everyone that you and Big Brother Alex saved me. The Roost welcomes you." She said.

"Thank you. Um, Sora? Can you tell us about your sensei?" Asked Mei.

"Of course. Sensei is a very beautiful person who owns the Roost and has saved everyone here. Myself included as well as Alex back when he used to live here. She built this area three years ago. She may not always be here, but she always returns with food and unique presents. Whenever she's away, we go out and scavenge the city for anything we can add to the emergency stockpile." Explained Sora.

"Isn't going out there dangerous? Especially since you're all just kids."

"Sensei created a "safe zone" where we can explore safely. Early on we didn't like scavenging but eventually we got used to it. Thankfully, Sensei didn't set make scavenging a requirement. Everyone gets an equal amount of monthly supplies regardless of how much we collect. We only follow one rule Sensei left for us. Do your best and live well. Everyone here has gone through some hard times. Sensei taught to help and rely on one another."

The more Sora spoke, the more of a positive light Mei began to see their Sensei in.

"Do you know when she'll be back? We need to ask her a few questions." Asked Mei.

"Um......Sensei should've been back yesterday. I'm a little worried about her. I had tried looking for her but I accidentally left the safe zone in the process. The beasts chased me and I wound up falling off a building as a result. That was when you all found and saved me from them. I don't know why but for some reason, the city feels more active recently. I wonder if she's alright. Do you mind me asking about what kind of questions you have for Sensei?" Asked Sora as Mei shook her head no.

"Well, me, Alex, and Dr. Tesla came here to look for a lost friend. It's a long story."

Mei then began to explain everything that had occured up to that point but obviously she excluded mentioning anything about Herrschers to make the synopsis simpler for Sora to understand.

"That's pretty much all. Since you've always been here, have you seen my friend Kiana?" She asked.

"Sorry but no I haven't. Sensei should be able to help but she's not here. Maybe you and Alex can ask the others first." Said Sora.

Mei nodded as Alex had finally approached her after as he had a handful trying to settle the children down.

The girl would inform him on what Sora had told her and Alex nodded in agreement as he'd help Mei with questioning the other children about Kiana.

The two would approach a girl as Mei would ask her about Kianaas she described her white hair as a clue.

The kid unfortunately had no clue and just assumed that they were thinking of a Honkai Zombie.

Alex thanked her for her help before moving on and coming across another little girl as Mei asked her the same thing.

"Girl with white hair and blue eyes? Does she happen to wear a white bodysuit?" She asked as Alex and Mei were shocked to find out that one of the children have seen her.