Chapter 14: Where It All Began

After spending a few minutes looking for a safe spot to land, the Helios would eventually touch down to the ground as the trio of Alex, Mei, and Tesla would exit the aircraft as they now stepped foot onto the Ling abandoned city.

The redhead would then clear her throat, gaining Alex and Mei's attention.

"Let's recap what we know so far before we proceed. Apparently, the Serpent had attacked the Schicksal Base where Kiana was being held at yesterday. During the chaos, she seized the moment and escaped. Couple of hours later, our Far East post detected a Herrscher Energy pulse here." Explained Tesla.

"She must've teleported here with her powers." Said Mei as Alex nodded in agreement.

"Correct. An extremely long distant teleportation like that would use lots of energy which we picked up. Unfortunately, she's been off the grid since then. Be that as it may, we're absolutely positive that she's still here in Nagazora. There could be some clues along the way." Said Tesla as Alex then brought up a question.

"What about Schicksal? Do they know about all this?" He asked.

"Thankfully, no they don't. For once we're ahead of them. Right now, we're in the east side of the city. This'll be our base point. We'll look around the surrounding area first. I'll set up a Honkai Detector Matrix to locate Kiana but I'm gonna need some open space to do so."

With that, the three walked on ahead with the two sword fingers leading and looking for a suitable spot for Tesla's detector.

Naturally with the state the city was in due to it being partially flooded with Honkai infested water, there were still Honkai Beasts and Zombies roaming about as the two would make quick work of them whenever they'd show up in their way.

After going down two levels on the current building they were on, they'd come across a large enough floor with nothing on it.

"Ah here we go. This'll do."

As Tesla put down her luggage and began to work on setting up the device, Alex had noticed Mei staring off into the distance, taking in the state the city was in after three years.

"I knew Nagazora was devastated, but to see it deteriorate this much is shocking." She said quietly as Alex approached behind her.

He had wanted to lighten her mood up a bit but couldn't really find the words to do so.

Mei had seemed to pick up on this as she turned around with a smile.

"You wanna say that it isn't my fault right?" She asked.

Alex knew she had hit the nail right on the head, nodding in agreement as Mei sighed.

"Regardless of the circumstances, it doesn't matter anymore. Nothing can make up for the devastation that struck the city. I gave in and choose to become a Herrscher three years ago. This tragedy could've all been averted if I were just stronger. I know I can't turn back, but I'm always reminded of that day whenever I struggle to make a critical decision. This, is a burden I must bear. Kiana probably feels the same as well."

As Mei said all that, Alex could only keep quiet after hearing how she views the outbreak now after all these years.

"Setup's complete you two. Let's see if it works." Said Tesla activating the device as the two then gathered around her. "This device will be able to specifically find Kiana's Herrscher Energy by filtering out the regular Honkai Energy that permeates throughout the city. Unfortunately, the range on this device isn't too big since it's new. Be prepared to spend a while looking for her."

The two nodded as right Tesla said that, a red dot popped up on the screen as it kept blinking.

"A-Actually never mind I got someone!" She said as the two stared at the screen.