Chapter 11: Student Vs. Mentor

"It's just me and you now, Sensei."

Those were the words that escaped Alex's mouth before he chuckled a bit and corrected himself.

"My apologies. You're still on work right? That means that calling you Sensei wouldn't be right would it, Raven?" Asked Alex with a smirk.

Raven just sighed as she lowered her hood, revealing the left side of her face.

"Ah, there she is. Nice to see you again Sensei." Said Alex.

The two remained silent as Alex kept up a fake smile even though on the inside he was anything but happy.

"You know, throughout the whole plan I couldn't shake off the feeling that I'd run into you while I was busy. Unfortunately, I didn't plan on it being at the tail end of it. You certainly do impress me at times kid." Said Raven with a fake smile herself.

Alex nodded before deciding to act serious now.

"Why are you going through with something like this? Don't you realize all the harm it'll cause? All the harm it'll cause? Everyone at the Roost looks up to you. I look up to you. Even throughout all of this, I still gave you the benefit of the doubt and hoped that you weren't involved. So why huh? Why are you okay with any of this!?" Shouted Alex as he snapped towards the end, feeling a hint of betrayal from Raven.

It took a while for Raven to find the words until she finally answered.

"Kid. How else do you think I get the funding to take care of everyone at the Roost?" Asked Raven.

With that simple question, that was all that Alex needed as he remained quiet and looked down.

"You want the honest answer? Then yeah, I'm not okay with this. I'm not okay with any part of this plan. The difference between you and I is that you're still new in the mercenary scene. I've been in it for years. There eventually comes a time when you have no choice but to accept jobs you don't wanna do. I've had to do many dirty jobs just to keep getting the money to take care of everyone, you included. I know what I'm doing is not right, but I don't care. A mercenary's sole purpose is to keep their head low and proceed onward. Besides, what about yourself? You're out here assisting the one who started the 2nd Honkai War and that's thrown world into chaos. What's your excuse?" Asked Raven.

"Simple." Said Alex. "Because you're wrong. That girl may be the Herrscher of the Void, but that doesn't define everything about her. She isn't just any normal Herrscher. She's gaining control of her powers. Using them to protect humanity. To all of you she may simply be the Herrscher of the Void, but to me she's only one person. To me, she's Kiana Kaslana." Said Alex as he withdrew his sword.

Raven saw this and closed her eyes, knowing that the time for talk was over.

"I see you've made up your mind. Truthfully speaking, I'm proud of what you've grown up into. Unfortunately as you stated, I'm on a mission right now." Said Raven as she slowly put her hood back on, signaling that Alex was no longer talking with his Sensei.

He now had to deal with the person who had taught him everything about mercenary work, his mentor, Raven.

BGM: Lord of the Castle from Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories

Alex calmed his nerves down as charged towards Raven.

The girl quickly shot out some sharp, dark colored feathers as Alex weaved between him and clashed against her as Raven had used the sharp claws on her hands to block and hold him back.