Chapter 35

I anxiously clutch onto Sarah as the jet starts it descend at the compound... From the moment we had left the hospital i had held her close and i was not planning on letting her go any time soon. 

Steve is sitting next to me his arm around me as we see the compound get closer and closer... This is not how i imagined the first days with our newborn... In a compound with many others around. No privacy, no nursery, the only private space for us is a bedroom. Dad had said that he would turn one of our bedrooms into a nursery but i told him to not bother. I was not letting her out of our sight let alone sleep in another room... I was not letting anyone near her because until this whole thing was resolved i would not trust anyone. 

I sigh as i see dad fly next to the jet. I have to admit that it is comforting to have him watch over us... To have him move heaven and earth to keep us safe but i wish it could have been at our house. 

Steve's arm around me gets a little tighter as the jet lands... I look up at him anxiously... "It will be okay princess..." He murmurs and kisses my temple... "I feel anxious..." I whisper and he nods... "I know... I know this is not what we had envisioned, but we have to think about Sarah..." He says and i nod... "But what if someone from here..." I start to say and he takes in a deep breath before letting out a deep sigh... "No princess... They would never..." He says and i sigh before shutting up. 

"It is one way to get us back here..." I mumble standing up as the door open... Steve looks at me stunned and i roll my eyes before walking off the jet... That was the only thing that had gone through my mind from the moment dad said it was better to come back to the compound. What if it was just a set-up from out her to get us to come back... 

I sigh and shake my head. I hated that i was thinking this way... I am just so on edge. I look behind me and Steve quickens his step to catch up. Dad lands and together with him we walk inside... It feels so weird being here and i just want to disappear. Everything seems the same. Nothing has changed. I step closer to Steve who wraps his arm around me resting his hand on my thigh... Sarah starts to wake up. I couldn't believe she slept through the whole flight. 

"Which room would you like to stay in... Yours or Steve's?" Dad asks and i look at him surprised...  "You kept our rooms?" I ask and he nods... "Of course..." He says and i squint my eyes at him to see if this means he was in on this... But i dont see that proud twinkle in his eye that he has when he pulls something off. All i see is, worry... I look at Steve but before i can ask him what he wants we hear voices... "There they are..." I turn around and Sam, Bucky and Nat walk over to us. 

"Oh, is that her... Omg so tiny... Can i hold her... Look at those little cheeks..." She says smiling as she walks over to me with her arms out to grab her... "No! Dont touch her! My baby...! Stay back..." I growl ready to attack as i clutch the knife i had smuggled with me from the jet... I turn towards Steve... "Can we go to our room..." I whisper and he looks at me worried but nods... "Sorry everyone it has been a long couple of days and Mommy and baby need some rest..." He says as everyone looks at me stunned... "Yeah of course... Sorry i didn't want to upset you..." Nat says looking at me and i roll my eyes. She probably knows what happens so i have no idea what she was thinking trying to take her from me. Sam and Bucky just look stunned. 

But i was being serious. No one but me and Steve is allowed to hold her... I am not letting her out of my sight... I had told Steve this and although he was a little reluctant at first when i told him it was the only way i would come with, he gave in.

"All the baby stuff i ordered for you will be here soon..." Dad says and i sigh and nod... "Thanks..." I mumble and look at Steve. I just want to go but i dont want to go alone and i think he noticed... "Thanks Tony... We are going to get some rest..." He says and he leads me away... "Yours? or mine?" He asks and i sigh... "Mine..." I mumble. We walk to my old room and 

It is so weird being back in my old room. Nothing has changed. It was cleaned but that was about it. I was just to get in the bed with Sarah when there was a knock on the door... I groan but Steve opens the door. "Hi i wanted to check in..." I hear and Pepper appears... "I'll make it quick..." She says to me as i sit down on the bed... "Oh sweetie she is so precious..." She says and i force a smile... She stays for a few minutes before leaving again. 

Steve slips into bed next to me... "Go to sleep princess... I will watch over you and Sarah... You have to wake up soon enough to feed her again..." He says as he knows i am scared to close my eyes and fall asleep... Scared that someone will come in to take the baby... He holds me and Sarah as we are cuddled up together. I soon fall into a restless sleep...