"she's in the kitchen."

"thank you."

"onika tanya!"

"yes momma?"

i went back to the kitchen with them, putting my hot pocket into the microwave. while it cooked i kind of just introduced myself to onikas mother a bit. she seems really sweet but aggressive at the same time. onika just stayed leaning against the counter as we talked. it's like she wasn't in the mood.

just staring into space.

"so onika, i want you to take a break." her mom turned to her and she snapped back into reality. i thought she was already on break. that's why she hasn't been going this week.

"i already am momma."

"i mean....a break break tanya. not just the week."

"you're doing a lot ma, it's not that serious."

"i'm doing just enough. you need a break, look at you."

"i actually haven't looked at myself yet, but thanks for the visual." onika mumbled scratching her head some. she does look sort of a mess but not much. just like she's been laying down for the three days she's been at home.

which is just fine. she's on break.

"it's that time of the month for you?"

"momma please."

"just asking. take a break onika. i'll call you when i need you babygirl. i just bought groceries for you guys, everyone is welcome. it's not just for onika." she looked at me and i nodded. the same thing onika told me her first days here.

they're the same in a way.

"i love you and i'll be calling to check on you."

"alright momma. thanks."

"i said i love you. i don't care cause it's that time, you-"

"i love you too momma, please. i'm begging."

"alright...call me onika."

"i will."

she went to walk her mom out. i watched her as she went sluggishly to her room, but before she could lock herself in again, i ran. pushing it with my hand. i've never had to run so fast in my life.

"wait."

"what?"

"can we talk? what's wrong?"

"i don't wanna be bothered beyoncé. please."

"i understand but like....we haven't talked in three days, it's weird."

"yea well i'm sure you're not fine with that. i'm only here for your own good."

"i didn't mean that onika." i sighed remembering what i told her. that was just an angry moment. like i've never been so upset in my life, she pushed it out of me. i'm not even sure why it made me so damn mad.

me saying that wasn't to make her feel like i was using her or anything. i really do enjoy her company.

"it's fine. i'm sure you'll be happy to hear that you were right."

"about what?" i looked confused, pulling my hand down from the door. for some reason i was still holding it. hopefully she doesn't close it on me.

"he was hiding something. can i go back to laying down please?"

"can i come in?" i spoke softly, hoping she would say yes. now i know why she look like she's been crying or something. she really liked that boy and it's insane. he didn't even seem like shit. all he had was looks honestly.