Chapter (42): Rekindle

Sipping her coffee in her office, Adrienne was flipping through the same files that steered the trouble in the first place. Her eyes kept raking over pictures of Sage that revealed her past and possibly her job that Adrienne detested at the moment.

She placed the warm cup of coffee down, and brought her finger over her lips as a small crease formed between her eyebrows. Adrienne leaned back against her chair and rocked it slightly as her mind kept wondering why Sage would return to that job. Her only conclusion was that she needed money to pay for the bills or something.

A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts as she shifted her intense gaze from the papers to the glass door. A smile crept across her lips when she spotted Quinn standing on the other side of the door. She motioned for her to enter. The moment Quinn stepped foot into the office, Adrienne stuffed the papers back inside the folder and closed it before she placed it inside the drawer.

"Hey." said Adrienne, standing up from her seat for a proper greeting.

"Am I interrupting?" asked Quinn as she exchanged hugs with her.

"No, not at all." She gave her a gentle smile. Adrienne nodded her head towards a stack of papers in Quinn's arms. "Anything I can help you with?"

"Oh," said Quinn when she understood what Adrienne hinted for. "no, no, that's not ours. Just some unfinished work of mine." She shrugged her shoulder.

Adrienne sat on top of her desk and smiled at Quinn. "Then to what do I owe this pleasure?"

Quinn flashed her a smile that revealed her dimples. "I was wondering if you'd like to grab a cup of coffee with me. Your secretary said you've been cooped up in here all morning."

With a sigh, Adrienne crossed her arms and stared at the ground for a second. "Loads of work." She pursed her lips then pointed backwards with her thumb at the cup of coffee on the desk. "I beat you to it though."

Quinn chuckled and placed her belongings on the desk and put a hand on her waist. "Another cup of coffee won't do you any harm. So, c'mon. Grab your stuff. I'll meet you downstairs in my car. Plus, I'm sure your coffee got cold by now." With that, Quinn picked up her stuff again and left the office, making Adrienne chuckle at her determination.

.....................

Eyes staring out the window, gazing at the busy street and the crowd filling the road, Quinn took a sip from her coffee and noticed Adrienne's silence and calmness when they arrived a few minutes ago. She couldn't help but feel concerned for her partner at work.

Quinn placed the cup of coffee down on the table, reached over and covered Adrienne's hand with hers.

"You okay?"

She held a soft eye contact with her and nodded. "Yeah... just... I keep thinking about some stuff that happened to me recently."

Quinn nodded and pulled her hand back to hold the mug again. "Your girlfriend, right?"

Adrienne's eyebrows furrowed. "How did you know?"

With a shrug, Quinn grabbed her fork and cut a small bite of her cheesecake before she placed it in her mouth. "Your partner might've given me a hint that things are tough for you at the moment."

She sighed and nodded, pressing her palm against the mug for warmth. "Yeah, well, he's right. We broke up recently... I did it." She stared down at the table. "So it's hard to... not think about her. She was special regardless of... whatever happened between us."

Quinn nodded at her understandingly. "Look, Adrienne, I don't know what happened, nor interested to ask since it's a private matter, but I do have a question for you." Quinn put the fork down and leaned forward. "Do you still have feelings for her?"