Chapter (29): Bailed Out

Behind the metallic bars in a grey cell and a grey floor, stood Adrienne grasping the bars in her palms and starring daggers at the man sitting across from her in the other cell with his head hung low and hands wriggling, feet tapping the ground beneath him. Only bars were set like barriers between them and saving the man from having his face more messed up by Adrienne's fists. Her soft blue eyes were burning holes in his head and he can feel it when the back of his hair rose. He raised his face and locked eyes with her with their jaws clenched.

Adrienne shot him a smirk when her eyes raked over his bruised face and she couldn't be prouder. His chest kept heaving up and down with anger and he balled his trembling hands and was about to get up, but an officer reached their cells and unlocked Adrienne's.

"You're free to go. Someone just paid."

Her body released a heavy sigh and a smile drew upon her lips as she got out, then turned to Jeff who was staring at her. Adrienne turned to the officer as they walked over to his desk in the other room and spotted Damien with his hands on his waist and gave her a confused look since he wasn't attentive with what happened and how she landed in jail at this hour.

She rolled her eyes and sighed then shared a quick hug with Damien. They turned to the police officer who sat at his desk, with his coffee placed beside his stack of paperwork.

"What about Jeff?" she asked. "Is he getting out soon?" she asked, retrieving her phone and her watch that were confiscated.

The officer shook his head grabbing his cup of coffee. "Jefferson Davis is sticking around for a bit till further investigation."

"May I know why? I mean it was me who started the fight."

He took a sip and nodded. "The officers found drugs in his house, so he's charged with selling drugs and creating disturbance in the building he owns. Residents complained after they saw you two fight so they decided it was time to stand up for themselves against that bully. Or something like that." He rolled his eyes and sighed.

"Oh." It was her only response since she felt stunned at the sudden news.

A pat on her shoulder brought her back from her reverie. "Let's go, Aid." Damien turned to the officer and offered him a grateful smile. "Thank you officer."

The business partners stepped out of the police station, but Adrienne was elsewhere lost in her own thoughts. Damien turned to her then looked over at the street.

"Where is your car?" he asked.

"I've been arrested, remember? I left it outside Sage's building."

"Fine, let me take you back home."

"No, take me to my car and I'll take it from there or else I won't be at work tomorrow on time."

He nodded understandingly and they both went to his car and made themselves comfortable. He started the engine and drove away from the police station.

"So you wanna fill me in about what just happened? You usually don't get in troubles, Aid... and who's Jefferson?"

Adrienne stared out the window with a hand placed on her temple as she kept rubbing it and touched her bruised jaw and winced.

"He assaulted Sage because she didn't have money to pay the rent."

He took a glimpse at her, holding the steering wheel then kept his eyes on the road. "Assaulted her how?"

"I went over to her house the next day after her brawl with him which I didn't know about till Gina said that Sage was keeping something from her and it worried her. Anyway, when I got there... Sage was bruised and I had to take her to the hospital run some check-ups. She said it was breaking and entering but I couldn't believe her. I let it slide. But it didn't feel right."