chapter fifty one

—REMUS LUPIN WALKED INTO HIS CLASSROOM AND LOOKED AT THE STANDING STUDENTS. Desks and chairs were nowhere to be found. It made the classroom look very empty. It was perfect for practicing spells.

"Today, you will learn about the patronus charm." Professor Lupin looked at them all, catching his godson's eyes.

Harry Potter grinned. He loved the patronus charm. It was a shame he hadn't perfected it yet.

"The Patronus is the most famous— and famously difficult— defensive charm. The aim is to produce a silvery-white guardian or protector, which takes the form of an animal. The exact form of the Patronus will not be apparent until the spell has been successfully cast. One of the most powerful defensive charms known to wizardkind, the Patronus can also be used as a messenger between wizards. As a pure, protective magical concentration of happiness and hope— the recollection of a single talisman memory is essential in its creation— it is the only spell effective against Dementors. The majority of witches and wizards are unable to produce Patronuses and to do so is generally considered a mark of superior magical ability." Professor Lupin looked at each one of his student's eyes, noting the way Ares's nostrils flared.

"To produce the patronus, you need to think of a happy memory." The man continued. "The happiest memory you can think of. Like this—" he hold out his wand "—expecto patronum!"

A silver light shot out from his wand and took form of a wolf. It hopped around the Gryffindor students, who all "ooh"ed and "aah"ed at the display.

The wolf went away.

Remus Lupin put his hands behind his back. "Like so. This will be the most important spell for your final examinations. Now, you try."

Each of the students started trying. None of them achieved it— but some of them had a silver light shoot out just a tiny bit out of their wands.

The Slytherins, mostly, had a difficult time trying to do so.

Ares did not even try. He did not have a good enough memory to think of.

"Why are you not trying, Mr. Riddle?" Professor Lupin raised an eyebrow.

Ares swallowed. He debated whether or not to say so, but decided to. "I do not have a good enough memory to think of, Professor."

A hint of pity went through Remus's eyes before it went away.

Harry Potter, who was the only student that heard it, looked at Ares. Pity was evident in his eyes.

Ares hated it.

"Think of the Malfoys, Riddle." Remus Lupin urged, his voice softer than usual. "They're like a family to you, are they not?"

Ares reluctantly nodded and took out his wand, thinking of the family as he murmured 'expecto patronum'.

It did not work.

Harry's eyes, if possible, had even more pity in them.

"Go back to producing your own patronus, Harry." Remus sternly said, noticing Ares's uncomfortable shifting.

Harry cleared his throat and went back to it.

Ares thought of his mother this time. The first time he met her.

"Expecto patronum," he whispered.

It did not work again.

Not even a silvery wisp came out of his wand.

"Allow the memory to fill you up, Ares." Remus whispered to the boy. "Lose yourself in it."

"I can't, professor." Ares looked at the man. His face was devoid of any emotion. "The memories are just not good enough."

Remus nodded with a sad smile. "You can sit this one out, Riddle." He said and cleared his throat, starting to help the other students.

✫ ✫ ✫

The Slytherin Six were at the Room of Requirement. They were having their first training lesson by Ares.

"Diffindo," said Ares as they lined up, all next to each ofher, while Ares was pacing back and forth in front of them, "is the spell that cuts a person precisely. It is very much alike Sectumsempra, the spell Severus Snape created in his Hogwarts days."

"Sectum what?" Blaise's brows furrowed.

"Nevermind that," replied Ares as stopped and he looked at them, "Sectumsempra is darker. It is used for humans. Diffindo is for objects. That's why when I used it on someone else, it cut the person's arm down to their bone. It is not meant for humans. But it will always come in handy."

Ares took out his wand and pointed it in front of Blaise. "Avis," he said. A flock of birds came out of his wand. Ares used the 'petrificus totalus' spell on each of them and levitated each in front of his friends. "Practice the spell on these birds."

"Can we start with actual objects, first?" Daphne cringed.

"Too much for you, Daphne?" Ares raised an eyebrow in disbelief. "You can leave."

"No," she replied quickly and pointed her spell at the bird in front of her. "Diffindo."

Ares watched as each of them tried the spell. "You've got to stop clutching your wands tightly," he said behind Pansy.

Pansy stopped clutching her wand and tried again.

It worked.

The bird was cut in half. Its blood went onto Pansy's face, who grimaced in disgust. "Eew," she whispered, wiping it with her hand.

Daphne looked absolutely horrified at the bird that was cut in half. "Oh my Merlin," she whispered, her heart beating faster.

"You can just leave, Daph." Blaise pointed out.

Daphne swallowed and shook her head. She pointed her wand at her own bird. "Diffindo!"

Her bird was also cut in half.

Blood went onto her hands, but thankfully, not on her face.

"Good," complimented Ares.

Daphne and Pansy beamed.

"Your turn, boys." Ares said.