chapter twenty three

—YULE CAME AROUND. Ares was back at Malfoy manor, where he was told to spend every summer and Yule with them.

Lucius read the letter he got from Dumbledore that evening from top to bottom. Then, he put it down and looked at Ares. "Good job, Ares. How deep was the cut?"

Ares took a sip from his glass of water. "Down to the bone," he repeated what he had said a few days ago.

Narcissa looked at the boy in pride. This was her nephew. She felt her heart swell up. "Ares, I have to tell you something." She shared a look with her husband, who gave her an encouraging nod.

Draco had gone up already. He had a stomachache and decided to go to sleep early.

Ares looked between them and nodded. "Okay.." he said, waiting for her to start.

Narcissa took a deep breath and started, "I found your mother." She stood up.

Ares's lips parted in shock.

Narcissa motioned for the boy to follow her, which he immediately did eagerly. "Before I continue, I want to tell you a story." She said as they reached the living room and pulled out a family photo album from the shelf. She sat down on the couch and patted the seat next to her, motioning for Ares to sit down there.

Ares did exactly that.

"Once, decades ago, there was a couple named Cygnus and Druella Black. They had three daughters. The Black family was a fairly wealthy one, after all, named as one of the so-called 'Sacred Twenty-Eight'." Narcissa put a hand on the boy's hand, while looking at him. "The three sisters were all different. But as kids, at least, the sisters all had one thing in common: they were all sorted into Slytherin. But after Hogwarts, their stories would take very different routes."

Ares nodded, listening intently.

"The sisters were Bellatrix Black, Andromeda Black, and finally, Narcissa Black." She said as she turned away and opened the photo album, pointing to a picture of three girls.

One of the girls had black curly hair and stared into the camera, frowning. The other girl had brown hair and was sitting on a chair, her eyes soft. The last girl had blonde hair and was wearing a blue dress.

"Narcissa was the youngest. She fell in love with a pureblood. Lucius Malfoy. After finishing Higwarts, she got married to him." Narcissa continued, pointing to the girl with blonde hair. Then, she pointed to the girl with brown hair. "Andromeda hated the family. She left them when she found love with a muggle born, and was disowned as a result." She then pointed to the girl with black hair. "And, finally, there was Bellatrix. Bellatrix, the eldest, bought into her parents' pure-blood mania with a breathtaking completeness. Of all the sisters, it was Bellatrix who was the most faithful to her family, and it was she who was utterly irredeemable as a result. Bellatrix joined the Death Eaters as soon as she was able. She married – not for love but to further blood purity – Rodolphus Lestrange."

Ares looked at the woman in the picture. He felt a pang in his chest.

"Bellatrix fell in love with someone else. Someone incapable of feeling love. Lord Voldemort." Narcissa looked back at the boy, who was trying to stop the tears from pooling in his eyes. "Lord Voldemort used her, his most trusted death eater, to have a child. A child he later on named Ares Salazar Riddle." She put a hand on his hair and pushed it away. She then cupped his face with both of her hands. "On the night of October 31st, Bellatrix and her husband and a few others went on to torture the Longbottoms. They got landed in Azkaban after Lord Voldemort's death. Your mother was Bellatrix Lestrange, Ares. And she loves you. She loves you so much."

Ares let out a shaky sigh and swallowed, his throat thick with emotion. Narcissa pulled the boy into a hug. "You're my nephew, Ares. Draco is your cousin. Lucius is your uncle. And I'm your aunt. And I love you as much as Bella loves you."

"Can I see her?" Ares asked her in desperation. "Can we visit her?"

Narcissa couldn't say no. This boy was an orphan, or so he thought until mere minutes ago. He finally had a parent. How could she say no?

"We'll go tomorrow."