chapter twenty eight

—AFTER HIS LESSONS THE NEXT DAY, ARES WALKED INTO THE MALFOY LIBRARY FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. Lucius, who showed him the way, looked at the boy curiously. "What do you want?"

"Magick Moste Evile." Ares said, seeing Lucius's eyes lighten up. He watched as Lucius rushed to a drawer and pulled out a book.

Ares saw many newspapers in that very same drawer. He accepted the book from Lucius's outstretched hand and pointed to the drawer. "What were those newspapers?"

Lucius, who closed the drawer, opened it again and showed him.

"The Death Of You-Know-Who"

"Our Savior: Harry James Potter"

"The Evil Mind Of You-Know-Who and His Actions"

Ares took all the newspapers out and put them on a table near the window. There were 5 newspapers in total. He didn't read the title of the last two before sitting down and starting to read from the beginning.

Lucius let the boy be. He walked out of the library to give him some privacy.

"The Death Of You-Know-Who.

Does anyone feel the positivity in the air? I sure do. So do my colleagues. And so does everyone else in the Wizarding world. You-Know-Who is dead! Finally, officially dead!
We no longer have to live in fear. We no longer have to worry about a war rising. We are done with this forever."

Ares finished reading it and shook his head. They weren't done with this forever. There would be someone else they would be afraid of. Someone else they'd be afraid of saying his name. Someone else that would install fear in them.

He looked at the newspaper about Harry Potter and ignored it, then looked at the third one.

"The Evil Mind Of You-Know-Who and His Actions.

Safe to say, as the Wizarding world finally grew safe again, it doesn't mean we forgot about what the evil wizard did. Sources say he had horcruxes! Horcruxes, the most evil and vile form of magic. The Order of Phoenix and Albus Dumbledore confirmed it in our interview. They claimed that they were busy destroying the dark wizard's horcruxes for years now, and that means one thing: You-Know-Who is really gone. Congratulations to us, everyone. Celebrate with your family and loved ones."

Horcruxes?

Ares sat up straighter and grabbed the book. Magick Moste Evile. He finally had a copy of it in his hands.

What were horcruxes? He had to know.

He opened the book and started searching page by page. Fifteen minutes later, he finally came across the word.

"Of the Horcrux, wickedest of magical inventions, we shall not speak nor give direction —"

Ares slammed the book shut in irritation, ignoring the way it let out a ghostly wail.

He stood up and grabbed the newspaper and the book while rushing to Lucius's study. When he reached there, he opened the door without knocking and rushed inside, closing the door with his foot behind him.

He put the newspaper and the book in front of a confused looking Lucius. The man looked at the newspaper and his breath hitched. He looked at the boy, already knowing what he was going to say.

"Teach me," said Ares as he stared into Lucius's eyes. "What do you know about horcruxes?"

"Not much," replied Lucius truthfully. "Just the basics."

"Teach me all you know."

"It is one of the most evil forms of dark magic, Ares." Lucius warned as the boy finally sat down. "You cannot go back once you have done this. But before I teach you, you have to promise me that you won't practice this form of dark magic yet, not until you are old enough."

Ares thought about it and nodded. "Okay. I promise."

"A horcrux," started Lucius, "splits the person's soul in half. It makes the person immortal. The dark lord had a few horcruxes, which he thought protected him if they tried to kill him. He did not find out that the Order were after his horcruxes, not until it was too late."

Ares listened intently.

"A horcrux, like I said, splits the person's soul in half. The more horcruxes you have, the less part of your soul you will have. The more you make it, the more insane you become. It is an object containing a part of your soul."

"What's the spell for it?"

Lucius shook his head. "I do not know that."

Ares sighed and looked thoughtful.

"You do not need to know the spell yet, Ares."

"I know, but it's nice to know."

"I understand," replied Lucius as he looked at the boy, but then shook his head. "You're becoming more and more like your father every day, Ares."

Ares took that as a compliment.