Chapter Thirty-One

~Rose~
It's been exactly one day, four hours, twenty six minutes, and fifteen seconds since I first entered this hospital.
I just want to go home with Logan by my side.
Not sit here in the cold, air conditioned room, just waiting as the clock ticks by. The slow and gentle rhythm echoed in the silent halls.
Hospitals are nothing like the ones in the movie.
It's just... Different. More real.
--------
Ever since I arrived here, there has been this sinking feeling in my stomach. Like a big, cold metal ball weighing me down. And every second I wait, it becomes heavier, pulling me away from reality.
--------
My nervousness and anxiety has not been helping. I feel like a hassle that no one's got time for.
I'm in the way and I'm just being an extra burden for everyone.
And the people keep coming.
Most of Logan's immediate family are here. Almost all of them have met me at one stage or another but no one remembers. Not now. Not while everyone's so anxious. But Bryce, Leon, and Leona are here too. And Jessie's still on her way.
Leona and I have our differences.
Well, major differences.
But I've got to put aside some stupid rivalry at a time like this.
The only thing is, will she?
Leona and I haven't spoken much since she arrived here, which was a few hours ago.
Her hair is in place and her tanned skin glows. But her eyes are etched with sadness.
I think everyone's eyes are etched with something.
Sadness, worry, loss, sorrow, hurt, anger, fear.
No love. No joy, or happiness, or laughter.
Logan wouldn't have wanted this. But no matter how hard I try, I can't bring myself to smile while knowing he's in so much pain.
------
Logan's mum comes up to me. Leon has nodded off after staying up late and delivering everyone coffees.
She looked at me and gave a sidewards glance to Leon.
"Rose, I think it'd be good if you, Leon, Bryce and the others went outside to get some air. Even to freshen up. If homes too far, then stop by the shops. They're only a few minutes away." She said to me.
I tensed suddenly at the thought of leaving Logan. His mum saw my muscles tighten and glanced at me with sad eyes.
"It'll do you good Rose. Besides, you know as well as anyone that we are not expecting news until tomorrow morning. You have a whole day. And I promise, if anything happens, the first thing that I will do is call you."
She was right... So after a brief pause I nodded reluctantly.

Hang on.
Did I just agree to go to the shops and essentially hang out with Leon and Leona!?
Hold the phone.
I can handle Leon but...
Leona!?
I instantly scolded myself for my childish behaviour.
This is not the time.

I looked over my shoulder. Leon's head was hung low as his hair fell, framing his face. He was still wearing that dingy old hoodie and jeans.
I lightly nudged him with my shoulder. He stirred and looked around, shaking his head.
"Have we heard from?"
"No" I said, cutting him off.
"Oh" he replied in a low voice.
"Um, we have to go outside and get some air. And possibly down to the shops for clothes and stuff. I'm not bothered, but they're making us go" I said, making a general nod in the direction on Logan's family. "It'll be you, me, Bryce, and Leona." I informed him. I wished Jessie was here. Once she had found out about Logan she booked the first plane home. I'm fairly certain it's landing some time tomorrow.
Leon looked a little apprehensive.
He shuffled his feet in an odd manner before saying,
"It's just, maybe I should stay. I'm not in Bryce or Leona's good books. It's no secret they don't like me. Heck, they probably hate my guts. And they have good reason I suppose. I don't want to cause any trouble" he said in a quiet voice.
In some respects Leon was right. No matter how much reasoning and convincing I did, Bryce, and Jessie for that matter had their thoughts set in stone. I can't speak much for Leona. I'm fairly sure Leon never bothered her. Unless she's angry about what he did to Logan. That's probably the case.

I stood up shakily and headed towards the coffee shop where I last saw Bryce and Leona. Leon quickly followed in pursuit.
It was kind of amusing how he half hid behind me as we walked in, expecting Bryce to not notice. It might have worked, but I moved to the side, leaning against the entrance.
I cleared my throat and Bryce looked up.
His mattered tangle of brown curls splayed in all directions upon his head.
His eyes glinted when he saw me and offered a warm smile.
But a second later, it wavered turning into a glare as Leon came into view.
This is going to be a long day.