57. Future Plans

Summer passed by quickly. We all enjoyed the camping trip, Ali and I got everything we need for seventh year, Daniel's family had me over for a couple days, and now we're all on the train back to Hogwarts. It's bittersweet, this train ride. For the last September first ever we're all together on our way to school. Looking around at my friends my heart sinks slowly to my stomach. I will miss this more than they know.
  Dylan is officially a third year student. He's gangly and has wild hair and a girlfriend which blows my mind. Ali and I joke about being sister in laws one day which gets big eye rolls from  Annalise and Dylan both.
Albus and Scorpius are already having OWL anxieties but we all know they'll be fine. They're both smart as can be.
When we get to Hogwarts and get settled in I can't help but feel emotional looking around our dorm room and the common room.
"Hey," Daniel says from behind me while putting his arms around me.
"Hey," I say back in a small voice.
"Everything okay?"
"Yeah, just... kinda sad. Isn't it kinda sad?" I turn to face him. Those dark, kind eyes gaze into mine.
"It is," he finally says. "Ellie... I wanted to talk to you about when school ends. Nothing bad, don't panic." He knows me too well. "My family gifted me something pretty major. A little house that used to belong to my grandmother. It's in Windermere. I guess I was just wondering if maybe you'd like to live there with me?"
My heart pounds so hard in my chest I can't hear myself think.
"You don't have to give me an answer now, of course. It's an open offer. I just wanted to throw it out there. Take time to think on it, okay?" He kisses my head then wraps me in a tight hug.
"Thank you for even considering that," I tell him. He gives me a little smile as if to say well duh.

Two weeks into the school year and it's been suspiciously quiet on the Delphini front. I'm doing a herbology project with James and Ali when I see my little snake friend slither around to me. He wraps himself around my ankle and looks up at me with his sweet black eyes.
Have you heard anything suspicious lately? I ask him.
Nothing of importance. You will be leaving these grounds soon, won't you?
  Yes. I will. I won't be back after summer.
  I will miss you. I appreciate your company.
  And I appreciate yours.
  I will continue to listen for suspicious activity. Goodbye for now.
  As he slithers away into the forest I feel my heart pull. Everything is making me emotional this school year.
  "Everything all clear still?" James asks.
  "Yep! He's been listening for anything that could mean trouble. He's a cool little guy." I get weird looks from Ali and James. "I know you don't get it but it's kind of useful being able to talk to snakes."
  "If you say so," James says sarcastically.
  "Guys, I gotta go. I have a big Astronomy paper due at the end of the week," Ali tells us.
  We wave goodbye and then I slump down into the grass. James lays next to me, one hand on his stomach, the other lightly brushing mine.
  "What are you planning on doing once we leave this place?" He asks.
  "No idea. Maybe I'll write a book on speaking Parseltongue," I joke. He cracks a small smile.
  "I haven't told anyone yet but... I was offered a position on a professional quidditch team," he tells me.
  "James!" I scream but he shushes me. "James oh my god this is major. When did this happen, why have you not told anyone?"
  He sits up with me and looks around. "It's in Ireland," he tells me. "My family, my friends, my life. Everything is here."
  "James. You can't seriously be thinking of turning it down. This is your dream. Ireland is not far."
  "I know but... This is embarrassing to admit, Ellie." He looks in my eyes and finds the encouragement he needs to go on. "I've never been away from my family. Not really at least. The first two years at Hogwarts I didn't have Albus and it was torture. I get very homesick."
  "Listen, I know that feeling. Being away from Dylan and Amelia that first year here was killer. It's not easy, I know."
  "But?"
  "But my move here changed my whole life for the better. James imagine the people you'll meet and the bonds you'll form. Not to mention if you don't like it, it doesn't have to be permanent. Fulfill your contract and come home if that's what you think will suit you. James you can't pass up this opportunity," I tell him. His gaze meets mine again, his eyes filled with tears that he's refusing to let out.
  "I wish you could come with me," he finally says.
  "I can't do that. I wish I could too but I can't. I have no clue what I'll do once we're out of here and it fills me with some crazy anxiety. You have an amazing opportunity, James." I see him consider what I'm saying.
  "You're right," he says. "I have to do this. Which means I have to officially say yes and tell my parents." He brings his knees to his chest and stares out at the lake. "Do you ever think about the day we met?"
  "All the time," I admit.
  "Me too." He continues to stare out at the lake and I continue to pretend I'm not staring at him.

That night laying in Daniel's bed while he reads I can't stop thinking about what the future will hold for me. James already has a plan, as much as it scares him. Ali is going to be an Astronomer doing research with a bunch of big name witches. Desmond is going to continue studying so he can become a professor. Conor, Daniel, and I are the only ones who haven't made solid plans yet.
  "What's on your mind?" Daniel's soft voice gently snaps me out of my thoughts.
  "What the hell I'm going to do with my life," I admit.
  "You're going to move to Windermere with me and figure it out there," he says with a smirk. When I glare at him he sighs. "You should talk to your dad about it. I feel like he gives pretty good advice."
  "Yeah. Maybe." I try to turn my brain off, stretch my arms out, then burry my head in his chest. He puts his book down and turns the light on his wand out. When he puts his arms around me I'm officially at peace. "Goodnight my boy," I say quietly.
  "Goodnight my everything," he whispers back.

Daniel's POV
  Once Ellie finally falls asleep I lie there with a heavy ball of anxiety plaguing my lungs. I think back to the promise James and I made and hold her a little tighter. She's right about the silence from Delphini being a bad thing. She's out there, getting ready for a battle. One that could rip Ellie from me. My whole future starts and ends with her. I won't let anyone take her away from me.