19. The Potter House

It's the Sunday after school got out and I'm getting ready to leave for the Potter house tonight. We're leaving early tomorrow morning for camping so Ginny decided I should come tonight. It's supposed to be a bit cooler during the nights we're going to be camping so I make sure to bring warm pajamas and at least two sweaters. Mom already unpacked my school things with magic so I'm rummaging through my closet when I find James's sweater.
"Are you almost done packing?" Mom peaks in.
"Um, yeah." I stare at the sweater a little longer before deciding to pack it. Mom sits on my bed, looking intently at me.
"So this James, he's a pretty nice guy?"
"Yeah he's cool. I guess. Mom? When did you and dad know you loved each other?"
Mom practically chokes on the tea she's drinking, spiting it all over my bedspread. "Uhh, sorry! I just... I didn't expect my baby to ask me about love right before going on a camping trip with her boyfriend."
"His whole family is going too! It's not like it's just us two," I say laughing while watching her use magic to clean out the tea stains.
"Well... I knew I loved your father the moment I met him actually. We met first year at Ilvermorny. I walked right up to him and told him his tie was on wrong and helped him fix it. He kept me around since then. We told each other we loved each other two years later," she said to my horror.
"Two years! But you knew you loved him that whole time! Oh I'm so stupid." I throw myself onto my bed and scream into my pillow.
"Ellie? Did something happen with James?"
"Yes!" I yell from my pillow.
"Did one of you admit your true feelings?"
"Yes!"
"Did the other one of you not say it back?"
I lift my head from my pillow and look at her, humiliated. "Exactly right."
"Oh sweetie. It's going to be okay. Dad and I only waited that long to say it because we're chickens. Everything will be fine, you'll see."
"He's been acting so weird though. I think he might break up with me soon. That means I'll loose Desmond and Conor and Albus and Scorpius. At least I'll have Alli. Unless she leaves me too since she's seeing Desmond." I groan miserably into my pillow again.
"Ellie, if James breaks up with you he's an idiot. And even if he's an idiot that doesn't mean your friends would just up and leave you. Those kids love you. I saw it at Christmas. They crave your attention, all of them. Albus and Scorpius could be carbon copies of Dylan with how much they love you. And the way James looked at you... I think you might be misreading the situation my sweet girl," my mom says reassuringly. She's so good at that.
"I really hope so. I love each of them so much." I pull myself up and try not to think about it anymore. Mom and Dad double check that I've brought everything I'll need while Dylan hugs onto me tightly.
"Have fun! But don't get eaten by a bear or something," he says shrugging.
"Thanks, Dyl." I roll my eyes. "Alright off I go! I love you guys, see you in a week." I use the floo network to get myself to the Potter house. When I arrive, I hear clanging in the kitchen and lots of noise upstairs. "Hello!" I call out so I don't scare them by just walking in.
"Ellie! Oh I'm so glad you've come!" Ginny runs in and wraps me in a big hug, almost bone crushing. "Sorry, I'm turning into my mum I guess. James! Albus! Come help Ellie with her things please!" I follow Ginny into the kitchen to avoid James and offer to help with dinner which she gladly accepts.
We hear loud running down the stairs and then loud running up the stairs. Albus comes back down and throws me into another big hug. "Hey Ellie. I'm so happy to see you. I know it's only been a few days but I've missed you!"
"I missed you too, bud. Scorpius sent me a postcard from Italy with his dad! Did you get one or am I special?"
"I got one too! They look like they're having fun." Albus glances behind him and back at me. "James said he'd be down soon," he tells me.
"Well go tell him to come down now," Ginny tells him. "Dinner is almost ready."
"Is James okay?" I ask Ginny nonchalantly.
"He's been held up in his room since the end of school, only comes out for food. I figured he'd be normal now that you're here. Did something happen at school?"
"Hey," James says making us both jump. "Sorry did I interrupt another conversation about me?" He asks sarcastically.
"Hi James," I say. He looks over at me and smiles.
"How are you Ellie?" He comes over and awkwardly gives me a hug. When I whisper that I missed him the hug becomes more relaxed, more like our normal hugs.
"I'm good. Are you?" I raise an eyebrow at him.
"Yeah I'm great," he says sweetly with a kiss on my forehead. "Here, I'll get that," he says to his mom before helping her set the table. "Dad should be here any minute. Uncle George and Uncle Bill are arguing upstairs. Who knows about what," James tells me with a smile.
I admire the careful way he sets the table, watching his hands and feeling myself get envious of everything he's touching. I miss his hands all over me.
We hear a crack outside and then Harry comes in, Ron close behind him. "Uncle Ron!" Albus hops up and runs over to hug his dad and his uncle.
Ginny peeps around the corner looking disappointed. "Where's Hermione and the kids?"
"They'll be meeting us there tomorrow," Ron says rolling his eyes. "Good to see you by the way!"
"Sorry, Ronald it's nice to see you," Ginny gives her brother a quick hug.
Once the uncles come downstairs, we start dinner. James sits next to me, setting his arm around me every now and then which gave me butterflies. Every once in a while he'd look down at me, winking. My heart felt so happy. It felt like normal.
After dinner the adults were so distracted James was able to pull me upstairs to his room. As soon as he closes the door we start kissing. He leans me up against the wall, kissing me so intensely I felt weak. My knees felt like they were going to give out. James picks my legs up and wraps them around his torso. He kisses my jawline then down my neck. I can't help but swear a bit. James pulls away, still staring into my eyes.
"Hello," he says devilishly.
"Hi," I say breathlessly.
"I've been dying for that," he says. "I've missed you."
"I've missed you more, you've been distant," I tell him with my legs still wrapped around him, my hand caressing his face.
"I know I'm so sorry. I've been really in my own head. You're so perfect though. Please just know you haven't done anything wrong I swear it's all me," he tells me. I pull him in for another kiss and he carries me to his bed.
"James! Mum is coming up," Albus warns from the door. We jump up and fix our hair and clothes.
"Good looking out, Albus I owe you," James fist bumps his brother on our way out of his room. Ginny comes up the stairs and looks at us three suspiciously.
"Where's your sister?" Ginny asks.
"Probably getting into trouble with the uncles," James jokes. Ginny raises her eyebrow at us and we all smile innocently. She heads back downstairs and we all laugh.