2. American at Hogwarts

Walking through the halls of Hogwarts feels a little intimidating. Everyone who will be in my year will have already made almost four years worth of memories and friends. I'm starting here with no one and nothing. Professor Mcgonagall is talking to my dad about everything a fourth year is expected to know and learn at Hogwarts. A group of boys eye us as we walk by and out of the corner of my eye I see one of them bend his neck to keep looking at me once we pass. Just as gross as American boys I guess.
As we walk past a courtyard I see two smaller boys looking uncomfortable with an older boy talking to them. I stop in my tracks when I see the older boy slightly push one of the younger boys. Ignoring my dad, I rush over to the kids and push the older boy.
"What's your problem?" I push him again.
"My problem? What's yours?" He shoots back.
"Why did you push that kid? He's younger than you!" I look back at the kids and the one who was pushed is smiling at me.
"He's my brother. I can push him if I want," he sneers at me. He slowly walks back over to me smirking. "That's really nice of you though, to defend him." Now that I'm looking at him, he's very handsome. "What's your name? You sound American."
"I am American," I say as I look back at my dad and professor Mcgonagall. "I have to go I probably already messed up."
I feel his hand grab mine and snap my focus back on him. "Your name?" He smirks again.
Pulling my hand back I raise an eyebrow at him. "I'm James."
"I'm Ellie." I look back again. "I have to go. Sorry for pushing you!" I run back to my dad and smile. "I'm sorry headmaster. I just thought I saw a bully and I just don't stand for that."
Mcgonagall suppresses a smile and says, "James Potter is many things but he's not a bully." She turns and her and my dad continue on.
James Potter? Of course I'd pick a fight with a Potter. Dad looks back at me frowning and I feel myself scowl back at him.

After Dad left I was sorted into my house (Slytherin) and moved myself into my new dorm. All the girls have welcomed me and given me a little rundown on how things work. Once my bed is all set I head down to the common room and plop myself into a big comfortable couch in front of the fire.
"Um. Can we sit with you?" I hear a small voice from behind me. Turning, I see the two younger boys from the courtyard. I smile and nod, patting the seats next to me.
"I'm Ellie. What are your names?" I scoot to where I'm facing them.
One boy sits on the floor and gets the fire going a little bigger. "I'm Scorpius Malfoy," he smiles at me.
"I'm Albus Potter! Thanks for pushing my brother. He's a prat." Albus giggles with Scorpius.
"I didn't know he was your brother! You looked scared," I laugh with them. "Is he mean?"
"He's just a brother," Albus shrugs. "I guess I'm the same way with Lilly, my little sister." I nod, understanding. "You're American. Why are you here at Hogwarts?"
"Well my dad works for the ministry now. I kinda got into some trouble at home so he dragged me all the way here." I shrug and look down. The past few months have been so rough. In and out of trouble.
"Well don't take this the wrong way but I'm really glad he brought you," Albus tells me sweetly. Scorpius nods in agreement and we all smile. "What year are you in? Scorpius and I are second years. James is fourth year not that he matters."
"I'm a fourth year. I guess that means I'll be having more run ins with James." I roll my eyes and the boys laugh.

That night it was difficult to sleep. Dad and I hardly said goodbye. I can't help but think of him and how his first day in the ministry will go. Then I think of James. How strong but soft his hand felt. His obnoxious smirk. How beautiful his blue eyes are. How dark his hair is. What a jerk. I shake my head and try to clear my thoughts of him as I drift off to sleep. Under no circumstances will I grow feelings for a person like James Potter.