26. Weekend Trouble

The first weekend of the school year comes pretty quickly. Alli and the guys are all meeting with me out by the lake to study together since the OWLS are already kicking our butts. Alli is already down there because I've been having a hard time getting up this morning.
On my way downstairs Daniel flags me down. "Ellie! Are we going to study again next week?"
"Um, yeah sure. Which day were you wanting?"
"Wednesday? Would that work for you?"
"Yeah. Does your girlfriend want to come along?" We both get quiet, staring each other.
"You have no right being mad that I have a girlfriend," he says quietly so no one else can hear.
"No I don't. But I do have a right to be mad that you flirt with me still."
"Don't flatter yourself, I'm just being nice."
"Oh is that so?" I hold up my right wrist with the bracelet he got me on it. He looks around then back at me, shrugging.
"I have no idea what that's supposed to mean."
"Oh no? Doesn't look familiar to you?"
"Nope."
"Right. Got it. I'll see you Wednesday," I say to him while storming away.
When I get to the group they all look at me like a time bomb when I throw my stuff down and take out my stuff in a huff.
"Everything okay?" James asks while pulling his arm off of me.
"Yeah everything's fine," I say convincingly with a kiss on his cheek. "Alright where are we starting?" Everyone talks about where they need more help while Alli and I exchange a look. Once we all establish which subjects are taking priority today, Desmond and I sort of take lead of the study session. I notice he's a bit more touchy with Alli which makes me smile.
By the end of our study session we all feel drained. I lay back on James, yawning. Feeling ready for sleep. I have James help me up and carry me to dinner. I don't argue when he takes me to the Gryffindor table.
"I wish I could sleep in your arms tonight. I really miss that," I tell him while slumped over on his chest.
"Well, you could. I'd just have to sneak you in. I have the cloak," he says while lightly rubbing my arm. I look up at him and nod. "You look so exhausted. Let's get you to bed."

James sneaks me into his dorm without getting caught then gives me some of his clothes to wear as pajamas. No one else is in the room with us so I just start stripping down to James's surprise.
"Oh gosh sorry," he says while turning around. He's so sweet. "I didn't see anything but your bra, I promise."
"You've seen my boobs before James," I say with a giggle.
"Yeah but with your consent! I'm not just going to assume I can look every time."
"I love you, you're so good." I turn him around now that I've got his shirt and a pair of his boxers on. "Thank you for bringing me in here. I really needed it. I've been missing you," I tell him.
"I love you so much." He picks me up and spins me around before putting me in his bed.
"Oh good you got in!" Desmond comes in followed by Conor.
The guys all get ready for bed while I close my eyes and hide under the blankets. It all smells like James which comforts me so much I could fall asleep right away. James gets into bed, burying himself under the blankets with me. Looking at this boy I feel like I'm really in a dream. He's really the most beautiful person I have ever seen. He traces my jawline with his lips then pulls me close. I feel my whole body relax. We all say goodnight then I fall asleep so quickly I hardly remember kissing James goodnight.

Sunday morning comes too quickly. I feel James tighten around me when I move. Smiling, I decide going to the bathroom can wait if it means holding onto him. James opens one eye to look at me then closes it to pretend he's sleeping. I kiss his nose then his forehead.
"I have to pee!" I whisper yell at him.
"Shh, I'm sleeping," he whispers back. I finally wiggle free of his grasp then head to the bathroom. When I'm all done I see everyone has woken up, James standing while stretching upwards. He's shirtless, only in sweat shorts. When he sees me staring he jokingly flexes his arm muscles. He laughs when I roll my eyes.
"You're so cocky," I say shaking my head.
"He's getting worse with every workout we do, too," Conor says on his way to the bathroom.
I throw the invisibility cloak over myself, giving James a quick kiss before heading back to my dorm to change. When I get to the entrance I poke my head out and say the password then climb through to get to the common room. A few people look at the entrance confused because to them it just opened for nobody at all.
When I get into my dorm I see Alli looking in the mirror and decide to mess with her. I pull on her hair lightly and she screams. Laughing, I pull the cloak off.
"You're turning into James I swear!" She pushes my arm while trying to hide a smile. "How was your sleepover?"
"It was nice I really missed sleeping in the same bed as him. Wanna go down to breakfast with me after I change?"
"Yeah but I'm starving so hurry up! I'll wait in the common room for you," she says.
Once I get dressed and fold up the cloak to give to James I head downstairs. Daniel and Alli are talking on the couch. Sighing, I walk over to them.
"Ready?" I ask her plainly.
"Yep! Later, Daniel," Alli says while linking arms with me. Daniel looks at me, clearly dying to say something to me but I just turn to start walking to breakfast. "What happened with you two?" Alli asks when we leave the common room.
"I don't know honestly. I just don't want to spend more time with him than I have to."
"He really likes you."
"That's too bad."
"Ellie!"
"It's true, I'm with James he's with Olivia. End of story. I love James and I'd rather lose all of my magic abilities than hurt him. Would you ever hurt Des like that?"
"No. You're right. It's just really fun to see two guys drooling after your best friend." I look over at her with a disapproving face but she just laughs.

I spend the rest of the day hanging out with Albus and Scorpius by the lake before the weather gets to cold to hang outside. When the three of us come into the common room I see Daniel studying in the corner with his friends. He looks over at me but I look away. I feel his eyes on me while I walk by.
"Want me to transfigure him into a tea cup?" Scorpius asks quietly.
"Hmm I'll think about it," I tell him with a wink. The boys head up to bed but I hang around the common room waiting for Alli. "I'm not going to bite you just come say what you want to say," I say without looking at Daniel who I know is staring at me.
"What if I like biting though?" He whispers in my ear which gives me chills. For just a second I'm speechless but I pass it off as annoyance. "Seriously though, I'm sorry for being a jerk."
"Which time? Like the whole time we've known each other or?"
"Funny. I'm sorry for the bracelet thing. I notice you're still wearing it though," he says looking down at my wrist. It looks like he has to stop himself from reaching out to touch me.
"We're done with the flirting thing, Daniel. We're both in relationships. I don't know about yours, but mine is serious."
"You're fifteen, Ellie. It's not as serious as you think. But I can respect your boundaries. No more flirting." Daniel looks into my eyes and I just know he doesn't mean it. His kind of trouble is so familiar to me and despite how badly most of me wants nothing to do with it, there will always be a part of me that wants in. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid girl.