34. Another Spring Break

On the train to Kings Cross for spring break I'm sitting with Dylan and his friends while looking out of the window. The kids are all talking about their plans. Hugo is going to be staying with us for a few days so I'm responsible for getting both him and Dylan on and off of the train.
Albus sticks his head into our compartment. "Ellie, come sit with me and Scorpius!"
"Okay. See you later, Dyl. Make sure you and Hugo stick together," I tell him then kiss his head on my way out. "What are you doing during break?" I ask Albus on our way to his compartment.
"Nothing really, just hanging around at home. You should come visit! Scorpius will be there of course," he says while opening the compartment door for me. Scorpius looks up at me with a sweet smile.
The rest of the train ride I have them quiz me on things I need to know for the OWLS and in the process help them learn a lot of what the need to know for their next two years.
James comes around the corner and pops his head in. "We're almost to the station, grab your stuff Albus. Hey Ellie," he says to me.
"Hello, James," I say politely.
"You should come over during break, Desmond and Conor will be with us the whole time. So. You should come over, too," James says awkwardly, taking me by surprise.
"Yeah maybe," I say awkwardly. I slide past him after saying bye to Albus and Scorpius.
I get to where Dylan and Hugo are sitting and tell them to go find our parents while I get their trunks.
While trying to grab both of their trunks I slip and start falling backwards but a pair of strong hand catch me.
"You see how you'd be dead without me?" Daniel asks jokingly then sets me down. He grabs the trunks for me and holds them.
"Thanks for catching me. I can get those now if you wanted to go find your parents," I tell him.
"Nah, I'll carry these for you. Mine are already out with my sister." He lets me go first then follows me with the trunks. "So any big plans this break?" That makes me realize him and I haven't talked since our last hookup. We've been hooking up casually for the past few weeks.
"Not really, no. Albus invited me over to their house and so did James but I'm not sure I'll go. It's just so awkward. I'm sure I'll put myself through it anyway just to see Albus and Scorpius. What about you?" I ask, smiling up at him.
"They're like your kids, I swear," he says smiling and shaking his head. "And no. Not unless you ask me over," he says smiling back down at me.
"Definitely! I'll write you, you can hang at the cottage and swim in the pond with us," I tell him. He seems happy with the idea of that. When we get over to my parents and the kids Daniel sets down the trunks. "Mom, this is Daniel, he's a friend from Slytherin like me. Dad, you've met."
"Daniel, nice to see you again. You going to be coming over this spring break?" My dad asks him.
"Only if you'll have me, sir." I smile at how pleasant he is with my dad. "Ellie, I hope I get to see you this break, but if not then I hope you have fun and I'll see you at school," he says to me. I give him a quick hug and feel my face flush.
"See you later, Daniel," I tell him.
"I thought you didn't hang out with him because of James?" Dad asks me.
"James and her broke up dad, keep up," Dylan says while rolling his eyes.
Mom and dad both look over at me with concern in their eyes. I look down, shifting my feet.
"Okay well let's get home then I know Dylan and Hugo are wanting to go down to the pond," I say grabbing my luggage and walking ahead of them. I don't even want to think about talking about my breakup anymore. Alli and I already talked it out and I've cried more than enough about it. Unfortunately in my avoidance of talking to my parents about it I walk right up to the whole Potter family.
"Ellie!" Ginny grabs me in a hug. Don't cry don't cry don't cry. "We haven't seen you since summer, how are you?"
"I'm great, thanks. How are you two?" I look over at Harry who's smiling down at me.
"We're lovely. I expect to see you around the house this break!" Ginny says with another hug. I look over at James who's putting up a fake smile. I know his real smile better than that.
"Yeah, sure! I'll see you guys around. Bye Lilly, bye Albus!" I hurriedly give the two younger Potter siblings a hug and awkwardly wave goodbye to James. Dad puts his hand on my shoulder while giving James a stony look.
"What did he do?" My dad asks after we've walked away.
"I really don't want to talk about it okay? Everything is fine we're still friends," I tell him not really meaning it. He thankfully drops it.

I wake up to the sounds of two roughhousing boys downstairs. Sighing, I pull the covers over my eyes. When we got home yesterday I hung out with the kids down by the pond for a while until they made me go away. I spent the rest of the day in my room avoiding questions about James.
Coming downstairs I can smell breakfast being made. "Good morning, honey," my mom says from the kitchen. I sit down on top of the counter and take a piece of bacon. Mom scowls at me.
"Can I go to Diagon Alley today? Alone? The boys kicked me out of their way yesterday so I don't really feel like hanging around here alone."
"Alone? You've got me and your dad!"
"Mom," I say rolling my eyes.
"Okay fine, you can go. Just be careful and be back before dinner alright?"
"Okay," I say while grabbing another bacon and a piece of toast getting a big sigh from her.
I run upstairs and write to Alli to meet me there if she can. When my owl flies off I know she'll get it in enough time because we actually don't live too far from each other. I open my trunk to see what I've brought back with me and my hand lingers over a shirt I accidentally took from Daniel. I decide to wear it since it'll be comfortable and it smells like him. When I finally decide to go with jeans instead of shorts I get a tap at my window from my owl.
Ellie! Yes I'll definitely meet you there. Getting ready as I write see you soon! -Alli
Smiling, I pull my hair up in a ponytail then grab a bag to put my money in. Running downstairs to grab my shoes, I nearly fall over Dylan.
"Dyl! What the hell?"
"Man, you're much more observant than Dad, he just fell right over me." Dylan says with a laughing Hugo behind the couch.
"You'll kill one of us someday." I run over to Amelia who's eating her breakfast in her high chair but reaches out to me the moment she sees me. "Gotta go bud, I love you!" I kiss her chubby cheeks then run over to the fireplace. Grabbing some floo powder, I yell a quick bye to everyone then poof myself to Diagon Alley.
I land in the bookstore, startling a few kids. I apologize then clean off the dust from the powder. I decide to wait here for Alli so I start to look through some books when a familiar hand lightly brushes over the top of mine.
"What's a wild girl like you doing in the bookstore during her spring break?" Daniel's voice says in my ear.
"What's a wild boy like you doing harassing an innocent girl like me in the bookstore?" I say smiling and turning to face him.
"Innocent? That's funny, you're not so innocent when we're alone in my dorm," he says, sending chills down my body. "What are you doing here?"
"Waiting for Alli. What are you doing here?" I ask him while playing with his belt loop.
"I was just wondering around hoping to find a pretty innocent girl," he says smiling. "Is that my shirt?"
"Yeah I guess I accidentally took it one night," I tell him while thinking back to some of the nights we've spent together.
"It looks great on you but it'd look better off of you," he says quietly, leaning in for a kiss. When I kiss him softly I feel his lips reach out for more but I lean back, leaving him wanting more.
"How are you so pleasant with my dad but so... Daniel with me?" I ask grinning.
"I don't know since I've never actually met a girl's parents. Never really date them long enough I guess." He shrugs then looks over to see Alli waiting for us to finish talking. "Invite me over soon. I'll be less Daniel, I promise." He gives me one more kiss then waves to Alli on his way out.
"He's so hot," Alli says while shaking her head.
"Yeah, he's definitely hot. And smart. And really funny actually. Anyway, let's go!" I grab her arm and we head out to shop.