38. OWLS

June has arrived quickly, leaving all of us fifth years scared out of our minds for the OWLS. My leg is bouncing without me realizing it when Daniel sets a calming hand on my knee to make me stop.
"Sorry. I know I keep doing that." I lean forward at the Slytherin table in the great hall where we're studying with Mateo and Josh. After a few minutes my leg starts bouncing again.
"You know I've been to California, in the states. I experienced an earthquake there. This feels a little like that," Mateo complains to me.
"I'm sorry! Ugh. I can't study anymore I'm going to explode!" I lay my head on the table and feel Daniel's strong hand lightly rub my back. I peak up at his handsome face with one eye. He gives me a little smile.
"Come with me," he says.

Daniel has my hand and we're running down a hallway I'm not totally familiar with. We stop then he walks past a big wall three times back and forth. Suddenly, a huge beautiful door appears. When Daniel's hand reaches out for mine I don't even hesitate for a second before talking it to let him lead me into the room that just appeared before our eyes.
All around us are beautiful, soft looking, huge beds. White sheets are draped around the whole place like big hammocks. The whole place is lit up with stars.
"Room of requirement. It suits the seeker's needs. I asked for a place to relax and melt stress away," Daniel explains when I look back at him.
"This is amazing," I say before taking my shoes and robes off to jump onto one of the mattresses. "Oh it's soooo soft and comfortable!" Before I can ask Daniel to join me he jumps right over me to land next to my head. The bed is so huge that we can both lay with our feet in opposite directions without our toes being even close to the edge. I look over at his face. Eyes closed, satisfied smile. I can't help but kiss his cheek.
He turns to look at me, his eyes intensely looking into mine. "I want you to be happy more than I've ever wanted anything," he says in a whisper.
"I'm happy right here, right now. I'm happy when we're holding hands, when I'm in your bed," I tell him.
"Ellie?"
"Yes"
"Can I be your boyfriend?"
"Like... like monogamously?"
He laughs with his head thrown back. "Yes!"
"But you don't believe in that!"
"For you?" He scoots up, pulls himself to be on top of me, then brushes a strand of hair behind my ear. "I would do absolutely anything for you, Ellie. I don't think there's anything in the world I couldn't do if it were with you."
My heart feels like it's about to explode. "I want you to be my boyfriend so bad, Daniel. I'm just so scared to be hurt again."
"I'm not James. I'm not anyone who's hurt you before. I genuinely feel invincible with you. I know you feel it too. I'm not going to take your heart and throw it away. I'd rather jump off of the astronomy tower, Ellie."
I pull his body down to mine and kiss him intensely. "You can definitely be my boyfriend," I finally tell him. I feel him smile into our next kiss, my heart beating as loud as his.
We spend a few hours in the room of requirement together. Of course we exploit the opportunity of being alone in a big bed together so most of the time we've both been tangled up together with nothing between us but our own skin. When it's finally time to go I very reluctantly let him pull me out of bed and help me get dressed with a few inappropriate touches in between. Walking down to the Slytherin common room with Daniel's arm around me I feel like I could fly without a broom.

News about Daniel and I finally becoming an official couple spread pretty fast. Alli made sure of that because she loves us together. She told me that when Desmond told James you could physically see James's jaw clench and he didn't talk for the rest of the day.
He finally makes it known to us how disturbing he finds it in Potions. When I meet Daniel with a kiss, James scoffed behind us.
"What?" I turn to him, furious that he could have the nerve to say anything when he's been doing nothing but kissing girls out in the open in front of me.
"You're a liar. You told me-"
"That Daniel and I weren't official when we were in fact not official. So? I didn't lie. Don't you dare roll your eyes and scoff at me. I'm happy, don't you as my friend want me to be happy?" I glare at him for just a moment before turning around. I look over at Daniel who just smiles because he knows he's got me. I put my hand on his and automatically feel a sense of calm rush over me.

The past two weeks of dating Daniel and studying with all of my friends fly by and before we know it, it's time to take our OWLS. First up is transfiguration, then defense against the dark arts, then potions. Daniel looks so nervous but before we walk in I hold his hand and look into his eyes. We both take a deep breath then walk in, both of us seeming calmer. James and I exchange sympathetic glances. He's seemed to have accepted our new friendship and my relationship with Daniel which makes me happy. Especially since Daniel is so civil with him.
Once the day is over and we're done with half of the OWLS we will be taking, all of the fifth years make their way to the great hall to eat dinner. We're all very quiet and everyone looks stressed.
"I feel like I just melted my brain down to a puddle," I say.
"I can't believe we have to do more tomorrow," James says sighing.
"I don't even know if I can cognitively feed myself," Desmond says quietly.
We all go to our house tables, Daniel and Alli linked through each of my arms.
"Hey, fifth years! How'd it go?" Albus asks while patting the spot next to him for me.
"Horrible it was so stressful. I feel like I did well but I can't be sure." I shrug then scoot in close to Albus.
"One more day, then you're free from this. Here have a piece of roast," Scorpius says while putting food on my plate.
"My boys take care of me in my old age," I tell Daniel and he smiles. "Sleepover tonight?"
"Yes definitely. I wouldn't be able to sleep without you." He puts his hand on my thigh. The truth is I don't get any sleep without him. The only time I don't have those dreams is when I'm in his bed and in his arms. Sometimes Alli has to hold me while I'm still in my dream state. I really don't know what I would do without her. Or any of my friends really.
Daniel looks so tired he's about to fall asleep at the table so we say goodnight to everyone and get going to bed. On the way there we hold hands, our fingers intertwined perfectly.
"What are you thinking about?" He asks.
"How perfectly we fit together. And how much I do not want to take more tests tomorrow," I admit.
"Yeah but at least it'll be over after that. Then we can actually have fun as an official couple," he says with a tired smile.
When we walk into the common room it's almost empty except for one girl quietly staring at the fire. Looking at her makes me feel cold and distant. Her presence feels disturbing. I don't realize I'm staring at her and slowly walking closer until Daniel grabs my arm.
"What?" I didn't realize he was speaking.
Daniel glances over at the girl who still hasn't moved then back at me. "Can we go to bed please?" His voice is a bit gruff. I nod then let him lead me upstairs. "What was that about?"
"I don't know. She felt familiar I guess. I really need to sleep," I say. I feel drained worse than I was after the tests. Daniel gives me a huge shirt of his and we both change then get in bed. As soon as his arms wrap around me I feel better. Safe and warm and happy. I melt into a deep, comfortable sleep after Daniel kisses me goodnight.

Today is the last day of OWL testing, we're all nervous but also excited. Today I have care of magical creatures, divination, history of magic, and later tonight we'll finish with astronomy.
James gives me a nervous look when I look over at him.
"James, don't put so much pressure on yourself," I tell him.
"Look who's talking! You study so hard you lose your vision," he says slightly annoyed.
"Do you want a carrier in taking care of magical creatures?" I ask him with a sly smile.
"No I suppose I don't."
"Then don't worry so much about it, okay? Last time I checked you were going to be a professional quidditch player. You don't need this OWL to do that. You're going to be okay, James." I give him a nudge. He finally cracks a smile and nods.
"You're too nice to me. I don't deserve you as a friend," he says sighing.
"That's not true. You're a good person, we just have a messy history now." We look at each other, almost like it's the first time we're really seeing each other. "You've got this, Potter," I tell him before we start the test.
As predicted, Daniel breezes through the divination test and we all try our hardest with history of magic. We get a nice long break before we have to do astronomy because it needs to be nearly midnight for that.
Alli, Desmond, and I are slumped over in the grass by the lake when Daniel, James, and Conor join us. "Has anyone's brain melted yet?" James asks before sitting on one side of me while Daniel sits on the other.
"I think mine has. I'm so glad there's only one left," Alli says with a big sigh. I agree with her.
"I know what could help," Daniel says with a smirk.
"What?" I say with my eyes closed and head tilted back. Suddenly I hear Alli scream and then a big splash. Before I have time time to react Daniel is throwing me in the lake. Desmond is already splashing around with Alli then Conor and James jump in with us. The six of us splash around, Alli and I sit on the boy's shoulders and try to knock each other off, and James and Daniel try to have a swim race but end up just sabotaging each other and laughing so much they don't actually swim.
When we're all done we lay out on the grass and look up at the sky. Daniel lays his head on my stomach.
"I love you guys," I say breaking the silence. I look around at them and they're all smiling. We soak up the sun a little longer then go in to change for dinner.