10. Expecto Patronum

We awake the next morning to freshly fallen snow. We of course had snowy seasons in Massachusetts but it looks so much more beautiful here. The whole castle feels different, cozier almost. The house elves have begun decorating for Christmas, covering bannisters in stunning garland. I decide to enchant my bed to have Christmas lights twinkling around it. Just a few hours ago I cried myself to sleep and now I feel more hopeful than ever. Christmas does that to me.
I walk over to the boys dorms and flop onto Albus's bed. Waiting for him to finish some homework, Scorpius and I talk about some outfit ideas for the ball and let them progressively get sillier.
"I'm not wearing a chicken on my head!" Albus chimes in making us laugh hysterically. "Alright you two, that enough for now. Ready for breakfast?"
"Let's go! I want cinnamon rolls," I tell them. Albus grabs Scorpius's hand, causing him to blush.

Monday morning rolls around too quickly for my liking. At least I got a letter from Dylan with a moving picture of him in his new Christmas sweater. His beautiful face smiles up at me with a big thumbs up. My sweet boy. My heart starts to hurt again.
"Ready for class?" James's voice snaps me back to reality. "Did I frighten you?"
"No! Yes. No, no I'm okay sorry. Yeah yes let's get to potions. Bye boys, lean lots!" I kiss Albus and Scorpius on the head again which gets even harder swats away since we're in the dining hall.
"By mum!" They both tease.
James and I walk in silence for a bit. I catch him looking down at me a few times with concern painted all over his face. "What's up, James?"
"Nothing. You just seem... You seem a bit on edge is all."
"I just miss my siblings," I tell him. I try to keep my tone unemotional. "I'm okay though."
"Really? Because you nearly jumped out of your own skin at breakfast."
"Well you took me by surprise."
"Okay. But you'd tell me if something were wrong?"
I sigh and roll my eyes. "Yes. But nothing is so..." I realize my tone is coming off way harsher than I mean to. I feel his grip on my hand loosen. "I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to snap at you. I really do miss my siblings and I guess it's just weighing on me more than I thought it would. I shouldn't take it out on you though."
"It's alright. I would probably be the same way if I had been forced away from Albus and Lilly. I know it's not the same but I miss my sister too."
I squeeze his hand and he squeezes back then pulls me into a squished side hug while we walk.

By the time Defense Against the Dark Arts rolls around, everyone seems completely distracted on how soon the ball is. Excitement and anticipation flood the halls, classrooms, and dorms. Focus on classes has almost completely diminished.
"Alright, class. We're going to have a very exciting lesson today. This will even take your mind of the ball," Professor Bell chimes in. "Who here has heard of a patronus?"
A good number of us raise our hands. "Mr. Potter, you'd be an expert in this. What is a patronus?"
"A patronus is advanced magic. It appears when you cast the spell Expecto Patronum," James explains. I notice he looks frustrated when he says, "not everyone can really cast one. It's incredibly difficult magic."
"Exactly right, ten points to Gryffindor. James, your father was the one who taught almost a whole generation of wizards at Hogwarts how to cast their own patronus, myself included!"
As Professor Bell goes on I see James grow more agitated.
It's then I remember what Albus told me. Over the summer Albus was able to cast a partial patronus when James wasn't.
"You're very annoyed," I whisper to him.
"Yeah well. It's nothing." He crosses his arms.
"You'll get it eventually, James. Albus outdid you in one thing it's not a big deal. You've outdone him all your lives in everything else," I whisper feeling somewhat annoyed at him.
"You don't get it," he whispers back. His brows furrow, his arms tighten.
"You're acting like a child," I scold him.
"We are children!" He says a little too loudly.
"Mr. Potter, how about you try first," Professor Bell raises an eyebrow at him.
"Oh. Uhh... no thanks how about someone else. Conor? Desmond?" James looks over at the guys for some help but they both shake their heads furiously.
"Up, Mr. Potter!"
James sighs, standing up. He looks down at me and I nod in encouragement. Professor Bell shows him the proper stance and wand movement.
James takes a deep breath and looks over at me. I mouth you've got this and see a smile flicker across his face.
"Okay, got your memory?"
"Yep! Ready."
"Alright Mr. Potter. Go!"
Pointing his wand to the back of the classroom James says in the most commanding voice I've ever head, "Expecto patronum!" A huge light flashes out of his wand and we can all see a patronus forming. James doubles down and suddenly a huge lion pounces out of his wand and runs around the classroom. The lion disappears as James falls backwards and smacks his head on a desk.
"James!" The guys and I all yell while standing.
"Mr. Potter are you alright?" Professor Bell helps James to his feet.
"That was the most amazing thing ever. You guys have to try that!" James jumps and everyone laughs.
"Alright, class line up and we'll all attempt our own!"
After two failed attempts, Desmond finally casts a partial patronus. His looks like the raven he turns into as an animagus. Conor can't quite get his and only a few more classmates can cast partial ones.
Finally, it's my turn. My nerves work up in my whole body. I look over to the guys who give me reassuring nods and thumbs up.
"Okay Miss Fletcher. Go ahead," Professor Bell taps my shoulder.
I pull the happiest memories I can possibly think of. The day Dylan was born, the day Amelia was brought home, the day I was accepted into Ilvermorny, the day I met Albus and Scorpius, my first kiss with James, the thanksgiving dinner my friends made me.
"Expecto Patronum!" I yell. Almost immediately, a huge lioness comes bursting out of my wand. She prowls around the classroom, pouncing around the guys. When I feel myself start to lose some power, I cast her back. She obediently pounces into my wand and I fall on my butt.
"Miss Fletcher..." Professor Bell looks astonished. The whole class does. I look over to James who looks so shocked it's embarrassing.

By the time dinner comes around word of my immediate patronus has reached almost the entire school. I sit embarrassed by the attention looking down at my plate.
"How can you be embarrassed? That is the most amazing thing anyone could possibly do! You got a full blown patronus on your first try!" Albus shakes my arm.
"She doesn't like the attention, Albus leave her be," Scorpius says sympathetically.
"I bet James was annoyed. I heard it took him a little longer," Albus says with a smirk.
"Albus please!" Scorpius elbows him.
"Yes Albus please," I beg.
"Alright, fine."
"I don't know how it happened okay?" I rest my head on my arm and try to block out the noise of the hall. "I'm not hungry, I'll see you guys later," I tell them and walk off.
I find a quiet place in one of the halls and sit down with my back leaning against a wall. Bringing my knees to my chest and my head down to my knees I take a deep breath.
"Mind if I join?" James's voice comes from in front of me and I peak through my arms to see his feet. When I shrug, he sits down next to me. "What are you so upset about?"
"The attention. I'm very proud of myself but the attention isn't worth it," I reply with my head still tucked into my arms and knees.
"Oh please. You get attention everyday," James nudges me.
"Not like this," I say finally looking at him.
"Did you notice anything about my patronus?" He asks, looking smug.
"The lion?"
"Yeah! Mine is a lion and yours is a lioness. That's gotta mean something right? I mean even if we had never met it's gotta mean that we're like meant for each other."
My heart sinks to my feet. "James what happens if I have to move back to America?" I've been thinking it for days now but it's finally out there. I've been dreading this conversation but it's necessary.
"What do you mean?" James shifts uncomfortably.
"I mean I have no idea how long my dad's job will last here and when it's done if he'd let me stay. What happens to us if I'm no longer here?"
We're both silent. The air feels heavy, my stomach hurts.
"We'll just have to figure it out. Maybe we could beg your dad to let you live with my family. Or even Scorpius's house or Conor's or Desmond's. And if he said no then we'd figure out how long distance works. I mean some muggles make it work so how hard could it be for magical folk?"
I look over at him and see desperation in his eyes. Scooting closer to him, I feel that same desperation. "Yeah. We can make it work," I say before kissing him.
"Ellie?"
"Yeah?"
"Would you please be my date to the ball? And then be my date for everything else for the rest of time?" His thumb rubs against my jaw.
"Yes. Always." We kiss some more. "But we're color coordinating with Albus and Scorpius," I tell him which gets a laugh out of him.
"For the dance or for the rest of our lives?"
"Hmm we'll see. We'll start with the ball," I say shrugging.
"I can't wait for forever," he whispers. My heart goes wild for him. What is it about this boy that makes me so crazy?

The next day in DATDA everyone tries their patronus again. This time Desmond gets his perfectly and Conor finally gets a partial one. His is a huge Irish wolf hound. Alli produces a beautiful house cat and a few other Slytherins produce theirs as well. James and I have been instructed to help those who can't quite get the hang of it and we actually manage to help a few students.
"You'll be taking my job soon enough you two," Professor Bell jokes with us. "Alright you lot, you keep working on this spell. Practice makes perfect, off you go," she dismisses us.

Desmond and I made plans to study for our herbology exam together so we go to the kitchen together to grab us a few snacks.
"Alli has her dress all picked out, it's gorgeous," I tell him and I throw him a packet of cookies.
Desmond gives me a shy smile and nods. "I helped her pick it out actually. I begged her not to tell the guys because they'd tease me relentlessly."
"Well then I'd kick their asses," I tell him nonchalantly.
"I thought you'd say that," he says laughing. "I'm bummed I missed Scorpius finally making his move on Albus."
"He was so nervous poor guy. But they look really natural together. I forgot there was ever a time they weren't holding hands."
We grab all of our snacks and drinks and head down to the corridor where we like to study. After a few hours of studying and finishing any last minute homework, James and Conor join us. James pulls me in and begs me to look over his potions assignment. I only need to make a couple adjustments which makes him happy.
The four of us spend the rest of the day goofing off together in the shrieking shack then head to bed for our exams tomorrow.