33. One Last Time

I wait at the top of the astronomy tower for James with my arms wrapped around myself. Looking down at the lake I remember the first time I was ever up here with him. How comfortable he made me feel. How naturally everything came to us.
James comes up from behind me with one hand on my shoulder. "Hello," he says quietly.
"Hi," I say in almost a whisper. I turn to him, his handsome face looking down at me with a stony expression. I feel a desperate part of me want to plead for him to be mine again. Instead I just lead him to the blankets I've laid out and try not to cry when he kisses me.

When we've finished I toss him his sweater that I stole away last year.
"You can keep this you know? If you want," he tells me but I don't say anything. I can't help but think about how I still felt loved when I was underneath him.
"I thought I could do a casual thing with you, but I don't think I can." I turn to him. "It's too hard for me. So I'm just going to respect your wishes and just be your friend when you need me. And one day when you realize you still love me, hopefully not too late, I'll be here." I fold my arms over myself again.
"Okay," he says with a hint of sadness in his voice. I give him a kiss, maybe our last kiss. "Ellie," he says taking my hand. We just look into each other's eyes for a minute. I walk away knowing exactly what he wanted to say, my heart broken apart.