30. Daniel

Over the next couple days, Daniel and I get to know each other a little better. We've definitely crossed the flirting boundary a few times but I never let it go past that. He's introduced me to his sister who's ridiculously gorgeous and smart.
Saturday morning I'm sitting in the great hall for breakfast when Daniel takes a seat across from me with a letter.
"What's that?"
"Mine, nosy."
"Who's it from?"
Daniel looks over at me with an eyebrow raised. "It's from James he wants to know if I've managed to get in your pants yet."
"You liar!"
"Stop being nosy then," he says smiling. I roll my eyes. "It's from my mom. She's just letting me know that they're impressed with how well I'm doing in potions. They want to meet you so bad. They also want me to marry you," he says laughing.
"Maybe one day," I say through a mouthful.
"Don't tease, I'm fragile," he says with a pleading voice. He makes me so crazy. "Let's go watch movies in my dorm. It's snowing pretty fiercely out there."
"Okay but I'm still hungry," I say.
"Take your time I could watch you eat all day, really."
"You're twisted," I tell him.
"No I just like watching your mouth," he says quietly.
"Okay, officially lost my appetite. Let's go," I say while snagging a piece of toast. I don't even realize I've agreed to sit in Daniel's bed with him and watch movies alone in the dark until we're actually doing it. He's completely focused on the movie but I can't get over the fact that I'm in another guy's bed without James knowing. At least we aren't laying down together.
"You're breathing really heavy," he says looking over at me.
"I am? Sorry."
"What's wrong?"
"I'm in your bed, it's weird."
Daniel suddenly looks aware of how close we are as well. "Do you want to go downstairs?"
"Not really," I say without thinking.
"Do you want to break up with James and spend the rest of the holiday in my bed?" I don't answer but I know that's not a serious offer. Or, it very well could be. "Ellie, do you know how bad I want you?"
"Not half as bad as-" I break off before finishing my thought. "Oh wow. Okay. I should probably go for tonight."
He catches my wrist and pulls me back to him, our faces way too close. "Tell me. Say it please. Let's just make it happen let's make us happen. We both want it," he says quietly while his face is inches from mine.
"Screw it," I say and pull his face into a kiss. He throws me down on his bed and pulls my shirt off then his.
Then I wake up in another sweat. It was a dream, thank goodness. My entire body is covered in sweat. I'm the only one in my dorm so I just strip down to my underwear and lay back down. I've been spending too much time with him. I shouldn't have stayed here.

On the real Saturday morning I take some toast and eggs to go from the hall. I sit in one of the hallways and decide to read a bit while I eat. I'm soon disturbed by Daniel.
"I was looking for you," he tells me.
"Here I am," I say sarcastically.
"You look tired. You alright?"
"Bad dream," I say still not looking up from my book.
"You have a lot of bad dreams," he says before taking a bite of my toast.
"Maybe I'm just a bad person and I deserve them," I grumble.
"What? Ellie, be serious."
"The dreams are about you." I look up from my book finally, staring into his eyes. "I feel like I'm cheating on James every second I spend thinking about you even subconsciously."
"Ellie, come on. Don't be so hard on yourself. We are both naturally flirtatious, so what? It's not like you'd actually cheat on him."
"I haven't exactly been loyal. I think about you all the time. So much so that my dreams are about you. And sometimes both of you," I admit.
To that he raises his eyebrows. "Really?"
"Don't be so cocky. I really don't know how to maintain a friendship with you and be loyal to James. I suck."
"Ellie, I told you. You're fifteen it's not that serious with James. He checks out other girls too."
"That actually doesn't bother me the way I think it should."
"Yeah because you're fifteen for crying out loud. I'm not saying you should cheat on him. I'm just saying you guys should explore your options before you get married and realize you've only slept with one person your whole life. That sounds depressing and boring."
"Some people like that."
"Would you?" He gives me a look. He thinks he knows me so well. I actually think he might.
We spend the rest of the day taking practice tests and we both do really well. I send a letter off to James about how much I miss him (because I do) and then one off to my family.
Daniel and I are hanging out in the common room when he gets an owl from his mother with a picture of his parents waving.
"They're so cute," I tell him.
"Yeah they're pretty cool. They sent you some more money." He tries to hand it to me but I reject it.
"Use it to take that girl on a date."
"Are you serious?"
"Yep! I don't feel like dealing with you tomorrow," I say smiling.
"Please. You love me." His eyes lock onto mine. I don't say anything but I feel like kissing him so I just push his face instead.
"I should go to bed," I say.
"I hope you have another bad dream." His lips curl into a grin. I roll my eyes but I honestly hope so too. Before I reach the stairs he calls out to me. "I dream about you too."
I turn back to him. His eyes searching my body for a hint that I want to walk back to him. "Sweet dreams then," I say. When I walk away from him I hear him groan slightly. I smile until I fall asleep.

Daniel takes the girl on a date to Hogsmeade. He brought her back to his dorm so I'm assuming they had a good time. By the time they're done and they come downstairs I've finished all of my homework for over the break and another practice test.
Daniel comes over and sits next to me on the floor. "What are you doing?"
"Homework. Here, you can use my potions answers if you need them," I tell him scooting the paper closer to him. "So you two must have had fun."
"A bit, yeah." He leans in closer without realizing it, looking over all of my homework. "Good job on Divination," he says quietly. His face in the firelight puts me in a trance. "You're so smart it's ridiculous. Oh hello," he says when he realizes how close we've gotten to each other.
"Hey. Wanna go get dinner?"
"Yeah I'm starving," he says which reminds me that he just had sex and not with me. This break needs to end.